Language: 
To browser these website, it's necessary to store cookies on your computer.
The cookies contain no personal information, they are required for program control.
  the storage of cookies while browsing this website, on Login and Register.

Author Topic:  I have an interesting challenge  (Read 2691 times)

Gandrilwar

« on: 09, August 2006, 17:15:40 »
If any of you have ever played one of the original dungeon crawler games (actually it IS the original) Rogue, then this idea is familiar.

Have an npc that you can talk to to undergo a special 'challenge' type dungeon, where every level is generated randomly, and so are monsters and the loot, and you keep going down levels to get to the last level, where you have to get this one special item to finish the game, and once you die, the game is over, but in our case, you'd just be taken to the npc again, where you can try again or go back to the game.  But if you complete the challenge, you get to keep whatever loot you found in the dungeon, and you get a certain item, and the dungeons are made for certain level ranges, like a lvl 20 a lvl 40 a lvl 60 a lvl 80 a lvl 100 dungeon, where each dungeon gives a different item, and to enter the dungeon you have to be within 10 levels of that dungeons level, but once you are beyond it, you can't enter.

That would offer an interesting challenge for players that want to test their character at certain level ranges, with the potential to find some decent stuff, and one nice item they can use.  Of course, it would mean some high levels can't do lower level ones, but they wouldn't have to.  Just throwing an idea out there for a special little aspect of the game.  Maybe the prize is something different, or the penalties are different, like you enter it with basic gear but same levels, and when you leave, through death or through winning, all of your gear is brought back, and you keep the new stuff.  Maybe when you enter your old gear is put in a new bag in your inventory, that has 90% weight reduction, and is locked and not able to be opened as long as you're in that dungeon. And when you leave all your stuff is brought back onto your character and you keep the bag if you completed it!

I'm sure some parts of my idea would have to be altered, but I'm just throwing it out there, also it's my first post I started!  I just had to because I wanted to suggest it.

Shroud

« Reply #1 on: 09, August 2006, 17:31:20 »
I like idea of going in with no equip whatsoever and working your way through having to sift through loot and getting something nice upon completing it, it might be awkward saving halfway through and a server crash might be painful but apart from that it looks ok
Doesn't matter, you'd die anyway. ;D Shroud's a hacker. After many hours of deep thought I have came to that conclusion.

Gandrilwar

« Reply #2 on: 09, August 2006, 18:51:11 »
well you have all your gear in a special bag, so it won't be forgotten if it goes down, you just can't access it in the dungeon!  but it's like turning your lvl 60 char or whatnot into a noob for a special dungeon challenge, it tests your playing ability, and your combat ability, with the reward being that you get some nice thing.  plus it's just a bonus little thing to add, for people who want a little bit of fun on the side of the game.  It would be a good reliever for boredom too!

Ellwoodblues

« Reply #3 on: 09, August 2006, 18:53:18 »
hehe... gotta love Rogue-like's!!! Great idea, SURVIVOR MODE!!

MM

« Reply #4 on: 09, August 2006, 20:23:38 »
interesting idea....and i hope the item at the end would auto-egobinded or something, so you cant just trade it away and ruin the challenge, but you could still drop it in your apt

Gandrilwar

« Reply #5 on: 09, August 2006, 22:21:17 »
well, in the roguelikes, and rogue, the challenge ended when you wore the amulet that was the whole point of the game, so maybe do the same thing, as a sort of tribute to rogue, and have whatever item you find at the end you have to wear it to exit the dungeon, so it would be egobound automatically in that sense, ya know?  I think it would be an excellent tribute to such a great base game, and it would be a bit of fun on the side.

MarcK

« Reply #6 on: 10, August 2006, 01:52:53 »
I like it!  A whole lot!

Hmm... Amulet of Yendor, versus Ring of Yordan...   ;-)
Volunteer Drow Annihilator (not annihilator of Volunteer Drows ;))

Unislash

« Reply #7 on: 10, August 2006, 04:19:56 »
Yea, MT knows of these sorts of games. I've wanted to make rather similar-ish things in some of my maps and told him about it and he said that it will probably come. They are called instanced maps. This is one particular type of instanced maps of course, and it sounds pretty fun. As far as the whole "person doesn't get to use any gear they have originally," i've been wanting to figure out a way to do this as well. For some of the tests in stonehaven it would just work so much better if the player didn't have access to their items.

This idea differentiates from MT's reason to implement instanced maps, and i think it is a nice twist to it :)

Cheers,
Unislash
Forum Admin/Mapmaker

Gandrilwar

« Reply #8 on: 10, August 2006, 05:24:32 »
yeah, amulet of yendor, maybe the item IS the amulet of yendor, and each dungeon level has a different level amulet, like the santa coats, except this amulet is bonded to YOU, and it's a special item that grows in power each dungeon level thing, so the lvl 100 amulet is the strongest one!  It would be a challenge to get a unique item, so it's like a sort of quest, but well worth the effort.  Glad to know I reached MT with this.  about the not using previous equipment, it's a must for this sort of challenge, I wish I could help but I'm not a programmer as of now, maybe I can get some from my family, who knows, but I'll try.

Anchakor

« Reply #9 on: 10, August 2006, 10:40:50 »
Yeah, id like a dungeon, where you enter a room, doors lock behind you, and next door opens only when you kill mobs in this room, and in next room it will be same with higher level mobs, so only ways out will be make it to the end ... or die :twisted:  So one dungeon like this might be for lvl10, next for lvl20...
- best system I've ever had pleasure with :)

Gandrilwar

« Reply #10 on: 10, August 2006, 11:24:06 »
well anchakor, that's somewhat misunderstanding what my idea is, it's not like one room, because starting with no equips, the kind of dojo ish challenge you're suggesting would be rediculous.  But that's sort of how my idea works, only you don't have to kill everything, but it's a really good idea to, or you could be in trouble.  The idea I have is like implementing the concepts of rogue into a sort of challenge at lvl stages of 20 40 60 80 and 100.  My idea is basically an entire dungeon, level by level, not just a dungeon room by room.  What you're suggesting is kind of like a dojo ish thing, where you have to complete the challenge in the room to continue, which I think is also a great idea too!  The challenge for that though could be more than mobs, it could be riddles, or puzzles, or a maze where a wrong turn can lead to certain doom unless you follow the hints properly.  And at the end you would compete against the dojo leader to get the banner for that dojo, which could basically be like an accessory, and you can wear just one banner, and each dojo's banner adds a different effect while you're wearing it.  Then we could put dojos here and there, and then part of character uniqueness is how many tries it took to beat the dojo, and how many dojos you've defeated, and which dojo's banner you use.

Anchakor

« Reply #11 on: 11, August 2006, 01:57:20 »
Yeah i was really not replying on your idea, just i thought its similar so i posted it here... :wink:

I thought there would be some puzzles and traps there too, this would be good and Daimonin wouldnt be so Hack'n'slash only :lol:
I think there was something similar in Neverwinter Nights...
At the end should be some boss, who drops rare stuff and with chance 1 to 100000 there would be a drop of item which will be in game only 1 so he will not drop it ever again :twisted:  I cant imagine how much that item would be worth to players :D

Gandrilwar

« Reply #12 on: 11, August 2006, 02:03:43 »
nono I hate that drops an item which is only one in whole game idea, because then whoever got it has a monopoly and noone ever has chance to get that item.  I don't know about you, but I'd quit if I knew there was absolutely no way ever to match up to one person just because he got this one item luckily.  no, I think beating the dojo alone would be enough of a benefit, with giving you the banner, with special properties.  no need to make something as horrible as what you just suggested.  I don't mind the idea that he drops rare stuff.

Also, it should be equally fair to all players on what they find.  After all, the point is to have players compete with skill, not having the only item in the game, and therefore being impossibly better equipped.

Unislash

« Reply #13 on: 11, August 2006, 03:00:37 »
Just a note, grandrilwar... i haven't told MT about it (and probably won't unless i remember when/if he talks about his instanced maps). I was just saying that if he finds this thread he would probably have something to comment on or he might be interested. I might put this on that one "suggestions thread" though.

Cheers,
Unislash
Forum Admin/Mapmaker

Anchakor

« Reply #14 on: 11, August 2006, 13:02:16 »
Quote from: "Gandrilwar"
nono I hate that drops an item which is only one in whole game idea, because then whoever got it has a monopoly and noone ever has chance to get that item.

So what about xmas special items... :wink:  Can i find them now?
I don't know about you, but I'd quit if I knew there was absolutely no way ever to match up to one person just because he got this one item luckily.

Im not saying it would be a powerful item... I thought of something like golden wizards hat of minor power... :roll:
Also, it should be equally fair to all players on what they find.  After all, the point is to have players compete with skill, not having the only item in the game, and therefore being impossibly better equipped.

As i said... they WONT BE BETTER equiped... just a collectors item... like some book :wink:

Perhaps if more ppl like you dont like the 1itemInGame idea, than the chance after first drop will reduce but you still be able to find the item...

Tags: