Language: 
To browser these website, it's necessary to store cookies on your computer.
The cookies contain no personal information, they are required for program control.
  the storage of cookies while browsing this website, on Login and Register.

Author Topic:  ranged ammo could break  (Read 5866 times)

Jaggs

« on: 08, March 2005, 06:19:55 »
not much to argue on this,
I just think if arrows had a 10% chance of breaking
would make game more fun
and warm up the arrows market :D

may be sling stone be just 5%, arrows 10% bolts 15%
the same strategy concerning throwing weapons :)
write and read  :cry:, write and read  :x, write and read  :(,
write and read  :shock:, write and read :?, write and read :P,
write and read  :), write and read :D, write and read 8)...
Submit

Marmoth

« Reply #1 on: 08, March 2005, 09:46:24 »
There could be a bad result (that i often saw in other games): ppl will keep the magic ones for great occasion(=never). Only standard will be used. I think that it would be nicer if ammo could be broken, but not in a definitive way: you could go to repair your broken arrows for a certain price.

Unislash

« Reply #2 on: 10, March 2005, 03:22:12 »
Nice point there Marmoth.

Do you think that the ammo would have a higher chance of breaking when hitting the wall, or hitting a mob? Also, should the ammo fall to the ground after hitting the mob, or stick in him? (and we really should have more graphic descriptions to damage) >:)

Cheers,
Unislash
Forum Admin/Mapmaker

longir

« Reply #3 on: 10, March 2005, 04:18:00 »
sling stones would be more likely to break hitting a stone floor or wall, arrows when hitting a wall, during combat (the mob breaks it so he can attack you), or when you recover them (break it pulling it out of the body), bolts since they are iron, would become unusable (bent?) on hitting a wall or stone floor.  Walls would include iron doors but less likely with wooden doors (except for recovery?)  you pull the arrow out of the door but the point stays embedded, you bend the bolt trying to pry it free.  wooden door wouldn't present as much of a problem to stones though.
DM
Dev Team Member
Site Admin

Mostly retired from playing

Unislash

« Reply #4 on: 11, March 2005, 04:41:04 »
Good stuff there longir. It makes me think "Will we ever go through old forum posts when we are running out of ideas, or adding details to stuff that is already implemented?" I mean, the stuff like what you said is a bit specific for MT's liking (no, more his time frames) and probably won't be thought of for quite some time. Well, this is me rambling :P

Cheers,
Unislash

BTW: yes, this had baisically nothing to do with missiles breaking, as longir did a bunch of observations :)
Forum Admin/Mapmaker

Cheristheus

« Reply #5 on: 11, March 2005, 12:27:20 »
What about this:
First, a shot has a general 33% chance of reducing the condition of the ammo by 1-2 points.
The arrows should have a number of saving throws, like (magic)^2 for the arrow - nonmagic have 0, +1 have 1, +2 have 4 saving throws. The saving throw should be rnd()*100 <= Qua. If the saving throw yields true, the condition isn't reduced. This would keep high quality magic arrows from reducing their condition quickly.

Second, if the ammo hits an obstacle, it has a 1-sqrt(1-(100-con)/100) chance of breaking.

According to this formular, the chance for breaking would be 10% for Con 80, 16% for Con 70, 22% for Con 60, 29% for Con 50, 37% for Con 40, 45% for Con 30, 56% for Con 20, 68% for Con 10, 90% for Con 1, 100% for Con 0.

As the condition is possibly reduced with each shot, each arrow would break some time, which is quite realistic imho.

Since the roll is done every time an arrow hits an obstacle, the chances for breaking are even higher.

I was also thinking about wether there should be a separate formular for dead obstacles and living obstacles.
I had the following thoughts:
First I thought, a living obstacle is soft and cannot break an arrow that easily as a dead, hard obstacle like a wall.
Then I thought that an Orc could try to break an arrow that hit in him. And the armour could damage the arrow, too.
But I pudding couldn't. Then again, if a pudding can attack, it is a muscle mass itself which could break the arrow as well.

So I decided that the same formula should be used for dead and living obstacles.

If the above formula would too fast lead to us losing all our arrows, it could simply be squared, which would reduce the chance drastically. Or use 1.5 as exponent.

Also, we could have a skill that allows players to repair arrows, which means increasing the decreased condition. Depending on the skill, the dexterity and the agility level, there should be a chance for breaking the arrow. Why these three factors? I think, the dexterity is the general ability to do such complicated stuff. The overall agility level determines how good you are at using your dexterity. And the skill level of course determines how good you are at repairing arrows.
When an arrow is repaired, there should be the following possiblilities, depending on the random rolls:
  • You managed to substantially improve the arrow. Qua increases, Con is restored to some value > Qua.
  • You managed to improve the arrow. Qua increases, Con is restored to =Qua.
  • You managed to safely repair the arrow to mint condition. Con is restored to some value > Qua.
  • You safely repaired the arrow completely. Con is restored to =Qua.
  • You safely repaired the arrow. Con is restored to > old Con but < Qua.
  • You managed to repair the arrow to mint condition. Con is restored to some value > Qua. Qua is reduced.
  • You repaired the arrow completely. Con is restored to =Qua. Qua is reduced.
  • You repaired the arrow. Con is increased to > old Con but < Qua. Qua is reduced.
  • You damaged the arrow while trying to repair it. Con is reduced.
  • You seriously damaged the arrow while trying repair it. Con and Qua are reduced.
  • You didn't manage to safely repair the arrow. Only Qua is reduced.
  • You broke the arrow while trying to repair it. Ammo breaks.

I still have to think about the random rolls for the chances for each possibility.
I think I would give a virtual level to the ammo, depending on its magic. of slaying = +2, of something = +1. A normal arrow is 0, a +2 of accuracy is +3, a +2 of slay dragon is +4. (Magic)^2 * 3 +1 would be the virtual level. A normal arrow would be lvl 1. A +1 would be lvl 4. A +2 would be lvl 13. A +2 of accuracy would be lvl 28. A +2 of slay dragon would be lvl 49.

This level is compared to the final skill usage level using a roll and then determines the chance for the possibilities from the list above. Two rolls will be there. One roll for the Qua change, one roll for the Con change.

What do you think about this?

Cher
Cher :)

Unislash

« Reply #6 on: 12, March 2005, 03:13:25 »
Lots of thought was put into it i can see :)

I agree with pretty much all formulas there. What would really help is testing it, but we can't right now :P. That's all that i got atm.

Cheers,
Unislash
Forum Admin/Mapmaker

Jaggs

« Reply #7 on: 14, March 2005, 16:20:53 »
Quote from: "Cheristheus"
Second, if the ammo hits an obstacle, it has a 1-sqrt(1-(100-con)/100) chance of breaking.

According to this formular, the chance for breaking would be 10% for Con 80, 16% for Con 70, 22% for Con 60, 29% for Con 50, 37% for Con 40, 45% for Con 30, 56% for Con 20, 68% for Con 10, 90% for Con 1, 100% for Con 0.

remembers me of math parabolas, this sounds great! :D
write and read  :cry:, write and read  :x, write and read  :(,
write and read  :shock:, write and read :?, write and read :P,
write and read  :), write and read :D, write and read 8)...
Submit

MarcK

« Reply #8 on: 14, March 2005, 22:28:41 »
I like it, Cher!   :)
Volunteer Drow Annihilator (not annihilator of Volunteer Drows ;))

Tags: