Language: 
To browser these website, it's necessary to store cookies on your computer.
The cookies contain no personal information, they are required for program control.
  the storage of cookies while browsing this website, on Login and Register.

Author Topic:  Town Raids  (Read 4974 times)

Shroud

« on: 18, November 2005, 19:12:48 »
OK, well first of all I like to thank MT for doing the town raid that was quite an enjoyable event :)

I was also talking to a few people and we came up with a few ideas for improvements for future raids to make it more interesting

One thing that would be nice is to have a mission, e.g. to protect the priest and so in this mission the mobs would target the priest and the players would try and defend him. It could even be possible that the city may have have a few magic stones etc that power a barrier protecting the church that the mobs would have to destroy 1st.

Another idea is that you should only have 1 life in quest, one way of doing it is possibly getting summoned to an alternate reality.

Another idea is to have a time limit so you would only have to protect the town/person/item etc for lets say 15 minutes until reinforcements/a spell is ready/sunrise? etc

That's me started it and now everyone has a thread to add new ideas and go into further depth the ones that have been previously mentioned :)
Doesn't matter, you'd die anyway. ;D Shroud's a hacker. After many hours of deep thought I have came to that conclusion.

smacky

« Reply #1 on: 18, November 2005, 21:04:40 »
There was a town raid? And I missed it? :cry:

Well, Shroud's suggestions sound good I like the idea of a mission. What are the existing rules, if any?

I'll recycle my suggestion from an old thread which went nowhere -- relative mob strengths so lvl 1 chars can fight alongside lvl 110 chars.

EDIT: Fixed typo to prevent mockery. :)

Elephantey

« Reply #2 on: 18, November 2005, 21:59:30 »
WOW, thats an ace idea smacky, thatd be nice to have. All these things are nice, but lets hold off of the ideas for a while, till b4 comes out, I jus cant wait, and id hate for it to be delayed for anythin :)
Captainof 1st class of the 6th regiment of D-unit
Co-leader of Knights Of The Silver Order
Leader of regiment 2 in the Slayers
Looking minor dam armour of any kind (ie helmet or chestplate or boots etc)
http://www.freewebs.com/elephantey/

Shroud

« Reply #3 on: 18, November 2005, 22:00:34 »
Quote from: "smacky"
I'll recycle my suggestion from an old thread which went nowhere -- relative mob strengths so lvl 1 chars can fight alongside lvl 110 chars.

I personally am not too keen on that idea as a lvl 110 has earnt his strength and also the 1/10th damage only works well if you assume all players are well rounded.... a char with lvl 20 dp and lvl 20 ph would fare a lot better than one that has lvl 1 dp and lvl 110 ph, also things like mana/grace regen are affected differently at different lvls (in % terms) - takes me 5 min to fully regen mana in mana gear + mana reg but for lvl 1 it takes seconds.. Also speaking from my point of view if my contribution to the defence of the town was the same as a lvl 1's contribution I'd probably train my skills and leave the town to other people to defend :P Also a lvl 1 with 2 hp reg rings would be nearly impossible to kill :P he gets hit for 1/10 of 24 hp/hit (2-3hp) and regens 1.6hp/sec which means he must be at least 3 on 1 to physically have a chance of dying

but it did remind me of another idea I had that I forgot in 1st post... I thought that maybe some raids could have a lvl cap so that you could get a raid with a lvl 25 cap and mobs of lvl 1-20 attacking

Town raid was just a test but consisted of spawning eye masters(lvl 110), raas (lvl 99), skeletal dragon(lvl 95-105 i think, didn't probe one), skeleton fighter/mage(lvl 50-60 approx i think), demilich (lvl 10+30). Also in some of the town maps spells like fs, is, mb, clw etc were allowed. A special item was also dropped by skeletal dragon - invader belt + 1 = ac1+1/str1/pow1/5% phys prots/6% elem prots/ 95 qua/con. Church was also blocked up halfway through :P

Just seen eles post and even though I'd like b4 to come soon I've waited long enough so that a week or 2 either way makes little difference :P Also as MT said it was a test I thought he might appreciate ideas/feedback on his test
Doesn't matter, you'd die anyway. ;D Shroud's a hacker. After many hours of deep thought I have came to that conclusion.

longir

« Reply #4 on: 19, November 2005, 01:45:54 »
A few thoughts on it (I won't get into all of the higher ideas right now).

Instead of just a few spawn points in town, have some spawn in southern warzone and come into town by the jail (1x1's of course), some spawning in wilderness and fighting their way in, and maybe some spawning in town. I'm not sure if linked mobs will be linkable across maps (like stoneglow to southern warzone) or not.  That would also have the effect of forcing the defenders to split their forces 2 or 3 ways instead of all being clumped together by the statue.

A wide range of mob levels while good for allowing lvl 1's and lvl 110's to work side by side is a bit impractical.  Perhaps the mobs coming out of one area would be lower level/weaker, say lvl 1-10, another area lvl 20-40, last area with lvl 50+.  That's the only way I can really see wide ranges of mob levels could work.  Otherwise for massive numbers of low level mobs, let the low levels fight them and higher levels keep them healed (or work a low enough secondary) but then there would be problems with high levels that wouldn't waste the time on low level attacks, and low levels dying for no reason against high level attacks.

Here is one higher idea to cope with this (could be a bit tricky to code):  Have an "alternate reality" that people get randomly summoned to (arriviing with full HP, MANA, GRACE) where they would be defending the town against comparable level mobs.....i.e a lvl 10 would face mobs of lvl 7-14, a lvl 30 would face mobs lvl 25-35, etc and if there are 2 or more people within the range (i.e. lvl 7-14) they would ALL be summoned to fight.  If you survive, you receive the first life quest item (make the life quest several items over many levels).  Die, and you return to the "original reality" with standard death effects.  Succeed then you would not be summoned back to the first battle, but would randomly be summoned to the next stage which may or may not include an attack on town.  It would prove challenging even for groups....if all are roughly the same level but a few got summoned to first and a few to second quest, it would make it even more challenging.
DM
Dev Team Member
Site Admin

Mostly retired from playing

Kinnison

« Reply #5 on: 19, November 2005, 02:45:53 »
one problem I had is that when I logged into this i had no clue what was going on, and a monster conned purple was chasing me.  If anything, if they are higher level monster, have only the higher levels fight them.. and leave the low levels who have no chance at least free revives with no depletion

T_H_E_O_N_E

« Reply #6 on: 19, November 2005, 03:00:44 »
I think Longirs idea about "alternate reality" but for groups, = CO-OP.
Kinnison gave me an idea. On raids, make so you cant get hitted by purple mobs.
And so that you cant kill grey mobs.
daimonninjas.mondoglommo.htm

Shroud

« Reply #7 on: 19, November 2005, 04:58:25 »
With groups getting implemented in b4 (i think) if life quests were automated there could be possibility of getting 1 group to get command to ask to do quest? Not sure how it'd work but maybe some sort of game command along same lines as emotes, say, shout etc

Just a thought...

also for theones idea some grey mobs can be used for secondary and would that mean I could hit purple without getting hit back? Not opposed to main reason behind proposal tho but think splitting lvls might be better

longir

« Reply #8 on: 19, November 2005, 14:34:23 »
Another one of the related higher ideas:

When alignments/additional deities are institued, have a quest to choose your alignment/deity that anywhere from lvl 1-5 you get randomly summoned into.  Then you choose your path...Good, Neutral, Evil...then you must complete a small quest...perhaps defending the temple  of a Good deity for a time for Good, defending the temple of the Tabernacle for Neutral, fighting through Good/Neutral mobs to get to an altar of Moroch for Evil.  Minor healing would be available from the tutorial for initial use, but you couldn't learn an attack prayer until you choose your alignment and deity.  To go with it, when classes are implemented either another random quest (lvl 6-10) or choose it also in the alignment/deity quest.  Then when summoned on the life quest raid, if good or neutral, you would be defending, if evil, you would join in the attack or have to defend a temple of your deity from an attack by good.  Could also allow PvP in those situations?  That would be very interesting indeed.
DM
Dev Team Member
Site Admin

smacky

« Reply #9 on: 19, November 2005, 14:51:08 »
OK, I'm not going to make a detailed post right now because I feel like actually playing the game. :D

But to briefly respond to Shroud, yes, I take your points. Longir makes a good point too, about mobs-for-all-levels all mushed together being impractical. This is what I hoped to address with my relative strengths suggestion.

I think it would be a very very good thing if we can come up with some way to allow low levels and VHLPs to fight side-by-side. Previous threads and events in-game have shown there is an existing and developing social gap. We need to bridge this, and players of all levels banding together for the common cause of defending Stoneglow (and/or other towns soon, yay!) from raiding mobs seems like a perfect way to achieve this.

Elephantey

« Reply #10 on: 19, November 2005, 23:08:20 »
Damn, my previous post was deleted......

Anyhow, I just wanna stick the post from the other thread on this topic here, cos it was an ace idea. 1 big, gigantic mob invades town, then we all have to attack it, brings community together. Everyone has to work together with MB, healing and PH. Once sombodies dies in this, they dun cum back till after. Also, its headed to a goal e.g.priest in church and it kills him in like 1 hit. SO, we have to distract him by attacking him, but as there getss less of us, we cant keep gettin sneak blows, we gotta get fully in there.

ele

PS what u think?

Shroud

« Reply #11 on: 20, November 2005, 03:39:33 »
I remember once having a conversation about having idea of having to fight moroch in person in which case you'd need help and moroch would have god-like powers but never really thought of it in terms of a town raid, more thought of having to fight your way to his lair, but one big mob is possible in town raid but only VHLPs are likely to survive more than 2 blows or he'd be way too weak.

longir

« Reply #12 on: 20, November 2005, 06:46:21 »
I remember that conversation.  You had said something like 20k hp  lol  I could see that as the culmination of the life quest......evil wakes Moroch, good tries to defeat him, neutral tries to save the Tabernacle.  Of course, he wouldn't be alone raiding the town, he would have many *many* minions with his immediate goal to destroy the Tabernacle itself.  That would be the ultimate battle imo.
DM
Dev Team Member
Site Admin

Shroud

« Reply #13 on: 20, November 2005, 15:55:25 »
yep :P 20k figure was mentioned as that much hp would require teamwork as a mere 3-4k can be handled by 1 player imo and idea of 1 player killing evil god in 1 on 1 fight seemed wrong. Think phrase "god-like powers" was stolen from your end of the conversation longir :P The moroch we were talking about would've taken around 4 to 5 lvl 110s minimum to stand a chance of killing him of which everyone taking part could probably brute force an eye master

Elephantey

« Reply #14 on: 20, November 2005, 20:41:34 »
Well, if he has an army as well, then we could have a lower level army with hi lvl moroch, and sorted. Between us we gotta defeat the lot. Might have a few killable NPCs on our side in there as well. The NPC number could be used to make the armies equal, so that if there are few people in stoneglow at the time, these make up for it.

So, say a particular army requires 2 VHLPs, 6 MLPs and 20 LLPs and we only have half of that, then the NPCs would fill in the gaps. Also, say for example there were 3 VHLPs, then 1 would have to be kicked out of town at random.........

Tags: