Language: 
To browser these website, it's necessary to store cookies on your computer.
The cookies contain no personal information, they are required for program control.
  the storage of cookies while browsing this website, on Login and Register.

Author Topic:  my 2000 coppers  (Read 3717 times)

witty

« on: 27, November 2005, 02:26:01 »
first of all thanks for looking, and all this may or may not have already been discussed. (most likely the former)

anyhow listen,

Buff spells- grace based, in an effort to make leveling dp more worthwhile, and apparently in b4 the more you use dp based spells the more you level that particular skill, i dont like magic, i want to be able to kill things with a weapon, and not depend on mb or clw or a god damned rod... anyhow

Holy Aura: (or something to that effect) increases ac temporarily like say you are level 20 in dp, you should get 2 extra ac, up to 110 you get 11 extra ac, at a pretty low grace cost, like the cost of clw perhaps and lasts at least 10 minutes. maybe even adds protections like 2 to all at 20 same as ac. might make it too powerful though

Wrath of God: (everyone could call it wog sounds good right) increases melee dmg by 10% doesnt increase with level, as levels of ph obviously means more damage etc. maybe make this a quest spell, you get it as a result of some holy war type thing. like a paladin. make it level 40 or something high, would keep everyone working on that dp.

Divine Vigor: (better than ****) decreases attack speed, quest as well, maybe 1% per level of dp, then at level 110 you would get -110% attack speed, so a 2.7 delay would be a 1.35 delay otherwise awesome. dunno if this is too unbalanced.

Divine Aim: (yea this names lame) increases wc at 10% and of course does not increase with level. quest spell too.

then at the end of these quests you could get knighted or some crap.

Mana based spells:

Debuff: Curse type things that basically are the same as the the ones above but negative that you cast on enemies and rodbabies
this would also open the door for exciting new character building for a dark mage, sorceror type.

Mana shield: or something absorbing magic damage by depleting mana. not like in some games where it absorbs all damage till it runs out, just absorbs magic damage, not melee, elemental or any of that
can be toggled maybe indicated even like when u get shot with a magic bolt you would get a blue aura kinda like when you level but darker. so whoever shot you knows not to waste mana on you. would be much more interesting in pvp but usefull. it would be really fun actually if there was a slight chance of it backfiring causing a huge magic area of effect type thing, killing the player instantly and hurting the player firing the magic bolt, of course it would have to be really rare. but would be awesome when it occured maybe even having a system wide message saying, "you feel a magical disturbance, some great force has been unleashed"
(this idea i partially ripped from dune)
anyhow perhaps this could be implemented for elemental attacks as well, would be really cool.

Misc Ideas:

I was reading one of watsons posts, which was funny, bc of ratix's comments. anyhow it was about increasing stats. i agree that stat increases would be awesome and make the game much more fun. but they should be of the epic quest style. like every 15 levels of ph you should be given a quest that takes 15 levels to accomplish and rewards you with one point in str dex or con, and i guess for cha as well. although that would be a red herring for fools/hardcore roleplayers. it should definitely have lvl requirements so you cant be powered through it by a friend.
the same thing should go for magic and wisdom stats with con/cha being shared between all as options.
an example of this would be to go to the guild master and talk to some guy. hed say he has a quest for you, you would get it at level 15 and be told that there was a skeleton army assembling east of town.
you are called upon to gather your own small army and infiltrate their stronghold and come back with the leaders undead head. this is the first of your missions, maybe you would find some cool stuff in the dungeon too like a small ragged rucksack on a random corpse in the corner, and inside it would be a  map, and a compass, and a notebook chronicling the adventures of a long dead half elf ranger, who was looking for the lost secrets of the killrin before they were wiped out by the forces of chaos. thusly sidequests make leveling seem less like a chore and more as a side effect of questing, perhaps they would even result in a little exp.

anyhow.
new darker forces to combat the holy ones would be nice, whenever they implement that cult. would go hand in hand with the faction system too.
make evil warriors possible using poisoned attacks etc. im just kinda rambling from now on, just as a warning.

lastly mainly complaints so skip if complaints make you sick.
i like archery but the current version of it sucks, ppl just stand next to things and fire theyre magic bolts and clw and rods and range weapons while using melee simultaneously. when the slow and snare type spells come i guess this will change, but when i used to play eq i hated those spells too, bc ppl would snare/root, and use damage spells range weapons and DoT's while they mob was snared. would be much more fun if an arrow had a smaller chance to hit, but when it did it would reduce their hp by half or something, and when it missed it pissed off the mob and ud run away tripping and crying like the cowardly archer you are.

anyhow thats my random input thank you for reading it all. and even though it may suggest otherwise i do love this game, its awesome the way it is, this is just  some ideas that i think would be an improvement.

Antoneja

« Reply #1 on: 27, November 2005, 10:25:27 »
I agree on the archery. Not really 'archery', is it?

I was running to town the other day and saw a newb with an evil treant chasing after him. There were arrows everywhere. That newb was running and shooting and the treant was following behind, mad as a wet hornet.
Mr. Newb was using his archery skill and quite well, I will add, however, I had to shake my head sadly. Why? Because that guy was a thievery waiting to happen. He was doing nothing wrong, but his arrows were everywhere and I knew some other newb was going to run out there and start picking them up.
So, unless that is changed in B4, I imagine people will continue training by standing next to the mob and shooting.

witty

« Reply #2 on: 27, November 2005, 21:28:25 »
yea thats the problem, maybe when tradeskills are implemented arrows will be cheaper so you either wont care so much if theyre stolen, and no one would bother stealing them, and when they hit a mob they should be much less likely to be recovered, like maybe 50% or something, driving down arrow value. would be nice if there were areas with high level monsters too that are in larger areas that you can strafe, haha not to seem like a lotr junky but legolas always pulled out his knife when in close corners.
actually in B4 as groups are possible. im sure that someone with high ac will tank, and someone else can shoot arrows or use magic and heal from afar, wear little armor for mana regen, and that is going to be awesome and i can barely contain myself.
whats great about this game too, is you can switch up your role rather easily not trapped in a class.

Elephantey

« Reply #3 on: 27, November 2005, 21:52:30 »
Theres been a suggestion to engrave names of people onto items, so that only they can use.
Captainof 1st class of the 6th regiment of D-unit
Co-leader of Knights Of The Silver Order
Leader of regiment 2 in the Slayers
Looking minor dam armour of any kind (ie helmet or chestplate or boots etc)
http://www.freewebs.com/elephantey/

witty

« Reply #4 on: 29, November 2005, 05:19:38 »
well if i found a soccer ball with somebody elses name on it i would definitely play with it for a while before throwing it into the bay but thats just me.

seriously though if arrows were border line worthless it would be much easier, or if theres magic arrows that are valuable maybe they could cost 1 mana or something and be put back into your magic quiver automatically (magically). just an idea bc imagine having to look at the discarded arrows littering the ground with everyones name written on them like lunchbags in a dumpster, i would rather sit in my apartment and drink evil liquid.

Deaxiliad

« Reply #5 on: 01, December 2005, 22:51:54 »
Genius - Arrows should definitely be worth jack-all.  They should also, IMHO, disappear upon hitting the mob - I can't bear picking up my arrows, and consequently am still lvl 1 ag throw and Xbow.

Naomeire

« Reply #6 on: 02, December 2005, 01:42:33 »
Witty, nice ideas.

How about 'Steady Hand' instead of Divine Aim.
or maybe Divine Guidance, hmmmm I like that one better.

Anyway, two more points....

First, you bring up a wonderful point, but very briefly..
At the moment, we only get exp for killing mobs.  We should absolutely get exp for solving quests, finding quest items, and knowing how to use them, ie keys, rune stones, invisibility cloaks, and whatnot.

Second, I agree with what you say about ammo.  Rather than finding +2 arrows, why not have the player buy, or make with tradeskills, arrows and then have a spell, like Bless/Enchant Ammunition....That would certainly not stop theivery, but it would make it no really big deal if someone did steal them....just pick up some more stones from the river bed and enchant them.

Also I'd like to add this.  I love the game too.  Any suggestions I make are not complaints....but merely constructive opinions about how to improve the overall gameplay and attract more players.  After all, the point of an open source, free beta game development philosophy is to have your game written by gamers.  After all, actively playing gamers have a better perspective than a cpp coder sitting at his desk squinting at mountains of code and drinking gallons of coffee.

(No offense against the developers, without the squinty eyed coders I wouldn't be playing at all, as I have no idea how you master your voodoo-like skills)   :P
Naomeire
Battle Mage, Artist, Mapwiz

witty

« Reply #7 on: 05, December 2005, 07:10:07 »
thanks!

Deaxi- it would be cool if only sometimes you got them back, like imagine u shot a wyvern in its wing, it would be easy to push it through and recover it.
but imagine u shot a troll in the face, would you want to go digging through his brains for a lousy bolt? any seasoned adventurer would just let it go.

Naomeire- your in charge of the naming scheme, enchant ammunition would be perfect, like go to the store buy a bunch of arrows and enchant the whole load of em, use up alot of mana, but then your set for a while. maybe you could embue them with different elemental damage too.
it would be nice if you could dip them in poison too, or crude oil, or whatever they used back then, and light them on fire, that could work the same way filling a lamp works, mark the arrow, and apply the poison, or whatever.

Naomeire

« Reply #8 on: 05, December 2005, 07:44:02 »
hmmm, with the marking suggestion....that's good Witty.  That probably wouldn't be too hard to code, of course I'm not a coder....

<laughs>
Naomeire

longir

« Reply #9 on: 05, December 2005, 14:40:39 »
marking ammo has been addressed in at least 1 or 2 other threads.  seems like every time there's a noob stealing ammo it's brought up.  so a brief recap......
it would be difficult to code due to specific things like clearing the owner tag for selling/trading, setting the owner tag (do you do it when you get it from corpse?  when you ID it? when you use it?), how long after it's used/dropped does the tag last?
if you're that worried about ammo being stolen, keep some normal as well as your magical and use the normal when someone else is around.
DM
Dev Team Member
Site Admin

Mostly retired from playing

witty

« Reply #10 on: 05, December 2005, 16:39:45 »
i dont know who thought of marking name tags on ammunition, ele brought it up in this thread, anyhow that idea sucks.

by marking i meant clicking on the arrow in your inventory, pressing M to mark it, then going to a poison or something which would be implemented like filling a lamp, and A applying it to the selected range ammunition.

imagine being hit by an arrow with applied poison, would be an effective root/snare if it was the strength depleting type, and you were carrying enough stuff. it would make for good pvp at any rate when it gets implemented. better get an ammy of reflect missles!

completely unrelated but worth mentioning i think it would be fun if you could throw random objects, like burnt out wands or torches, sandals etc. that would be great. press F on that useless junk in your inventory and throw it at a noob.

Naomeire

« Reply #11 on: 06, December 2005, 03:22:54 »
By Jove!  Its crazy but it just might work!  lol
Naomeire

MJD

« Reply #12 on: 07, December 2005, 18:05:27 »
Maybe the arrows that hit a monster get left in the corpse, so can be picked up like the coppers.  Then, as long as you hit it, the arrows won't be stolen.

witty

« Reply #13 on: 08, December 2005, 05:08:54 »
that is an excellent idea mjd!

Naomeire

« Reply #14 on: 08, December 2005, 12:48:29 »
That is a great suggestion.  I'm not sure what kind of 'code magic' it would take to drop the arrows into the mobs inventory....but it would be pretty cool if they could figure that one out!
Naomeire

Tags: