Language: 
To browser these website, it's necessary to store cookies on your computer.
The cookies contain no personal information, they are required for program control.
  the storage of cookies while browsing this website, on Login and Register.

Poll

Do you like the new MD lvl require system?

Yes
18 (60%)
No
12 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Voting closed: 13, December 2005, 15:54:28

Author Topic:  New MD lvl req...hot or not?  (Read 6140 times)

kyleball2

« on: 13, December 2005, 15:54:28 »
I personally don't like that it is linked to the level of magic devices..
I think it will increase rodbaby activity, because everyone wants to use a rod/horn of some sort, so they will level up and storm everything, not just the few impatient ones, but everyone.
I know for sure I'm going to be storming for ages, until it gets high enough to use my lvl 93 mb device...
IMO it will deffinitely increase rodbaby activity by a lot, due to having to have a md level close enough to match your rods and horns.
What I would like to see is horn/rod level requirement is based on dp or mb, it would encourage diversity, leave out a lot of unecessary rodbabying, and still keep the low level people using too high level devices.
Another thing is to get rid of the magic device skill all together, i think it is not needed and doesn't add anything to the game, i would love for it to dissapear completely.
Am I being controversial? lol

smacky

« Reply #1 on: 13, December 2005, 16:41:30 »
I see your point that it might increase rodbabying. I don't have a problem with rodbabying. I have a problem with irresponsible rodbabying. This comes in two forms I think:

1. People who can't/won't angle their storms at a wall or blast them where they know there are no extra mobs that will be hit and 'woken';

2. LLPs who run around HL dungeons (ex, DT) rodbabying mobs they couldn't possibly kill without a device and which can kill them with a single blow/very easily.

In both cases the worst outcome (and a frequent one) is that the rodbaby gets killed and the mob(s)  rampage around looking for someone else to vent their anger on. The person they find is often tucked away in a corner, healing up after a hard battle, and in no position to defend themselves or run away.

IMO, the latest patch attempts to counter #2 directly and #1 indirectly (because it slows down people's ability to use rods and the fact is, more experienced/long term players tend to be more sensible/responsible). I do think it's working in the short term, but in the long term... I wouldn't like to guess.

I've mentioned this to Kyle and a couple of others in-game: IMO the md skill should be got rid of entirely (ISTR Uni mentioned this in another thread) and mobs killed with a device (at least a rod/horn) should net no exp at all. Also, mobs killed with a device should not leave bounties. This, I think, would stop #2 altogether, as there would be no point in noobs rodbabying HL mobs; they'd get nothing from it Devices would become the 'last resort, panic' items they were meant to be.

Elephantey

« Reply #2 on: 13, December 2005, 17:50:15 »
My opinion (very asteemed you know :lol::lol: lmao) is a sort of mixture of the two. I would be quite happy to see them go completely, or I would also like for it to be used better. One way is by linking it with int (makes sense as it requires intelligence to use) and maybe mb and dp. Here, try this formula.

(Int (MB+DP))/10=MD lvl

This would find a use for int, give somthing a lvl requirement for MB and DP (which PH already has, so slight evening out). Also, no exp is gained by using rods as the MD lvl is not obtained from this. This would mean that people only use rods/horns for emergencies.

Overall, this solves many problems and includes int in somthing as well as balancing it out for a bit. My view is that rods/horns like ID should have no lvl requirement. Please feel free to discuss.

ele
Captainof 1st class of the 6th regiment of D-unit
Co-leader of Knights Of The Silver Order
Leader of regiment 2 in the Slayers
Looking minor dam armour of any kind (ie helmet or chestplate or boots etc)
http://www.freewebs.com/elephantey/

michtoen

« Reply #3 on: 13, December 2005, 17:58:40 »
The plan is to make the other skills that strong that the MD skill is not that important anymore.

That the MD skill works in b3 as it does has the simple reason that the skills tree and all their
usage is not implemented in the way i have in mind and the MD skill is designed for too.

B4 will bring in the first changes. You will see there the first implementation of the "guild level tree" and new spells.
vita est proelium

Sunova

« Reply #4 on: 13, December 2005, 18:10:54 »
I personally like the restrictions on the rods/horns. It keeps peoples that are like level 3 from running around OOP or other higher level dungeons killing everything in sight. I myself am a victim of the restrictions, but I'm all for it. I don't think it should be based on Intelligence or any other stat besides MD. After all, isn't that what MD is for? Rods, horns, scrolls etc.. are more for the fighting class to have magic available. Once more spells and things are added for magic users, they shouldn't have any real need for them, other than maybe no mana usage with them.
The greatest tragedy of mankind is what dies as he lives.

Elephantey

« Reply #5 on: 13, December 2005, 18:42:10 »
Once more spells and things are added for magic users, they shouldn't have any real need for them, other than maybe no mana usage with them.

Well in that case there shouldnt be any use for them. IMO people who major in PH shouldnt use it anyway, doesnt seem right in the slightest.
Captainof 1st class of the 6th regiment of D-unit
Co-leader of Knights Of The Silver Order
Leader of regiment 2 in the Slayers
Looking minor dam armour of any kind (ie helmet or chestplate or boots etc)
http://www.freewebs.com/elephantey/

Naomeire

« Reply #6 on: 13, December 2005, 19:33:48 »
I have a feeling you will see the day when you can cast firestorm, icestorm, or maybe even fireball?  level drain?  confuse?  summon?
without the use of a wand, rod, or horn.....

When (if) this happens, MT is right.  Babies with their little toy rods will become obsolete and true, powerful sorcerers will rule over the land of Daimonin like Gods with more might in the tip of one finger than whole armies of fighters with their simple metal playthings.

Until this day, mages must cower in their armor, learning childish skills with shields and polearms.  But they will abide, honing their skills, practicing their dark arts, until the dark magical forces of dangerous magic return to the lost worlds.

Okay, so maybe I'm laying it on a little thick, but do you get the picture.

MT says it'll be fixed, and I for one beleive it will.
Naomeire
Battle Mage, Artist, Mapwiz

Shroud

« Reply #7 on: 13, December 2005, 20:08:13 »
I personally think md lvl reqs is a good thing. Before there was no point in lvl ing md as the higher I lvled it the less bounties became accessible to me and the md's power doesn't increase either.

@ele - There are some players who have an aim to become more or less equivelent to a fighting god in daimonin. For example my long term target is lvl 110 in mb, ph, dp and ag. As lvls are currently capped at 110 raising secondaries is only way to improve my combat potential

Also if you have got a decent lvl of mb you'll realise that md's are only a poor copy of the original spell
Doesn't matter, you'd die anyway. ;D Shroud's a hacker. After many hours of deep thought I have came to that conclusion.

konokinda

« Reply #8 on: 13, December 2005, 22:08:48 »
When (if) this happens, MT is right. Babies with their little toy rods will become obsolete and true, powerful sorcerers will rule over the land of Daimonin like Gods with more might in the tip of one finger than whole armies of fighters with their simple metal playthings.

whoooo yes!!!! nice description!!!!
The plan is to make the other skills that strong that the MD skill is not that important anymore.

personally i think this will only work in the VERY long run. i hate to disagree with u mt (lord and master of daimonin that can destory at the touch of a button...) but this little patch here will only cause those that can't use there favorite rod/horn in b3 to use what they can till they can use there favorite rod/horn. Right now md is the most wanted and best skill to have since all of the more powerful things or in that category. it seems to me what u did was cause the exact opposite of what u wanted to happen. now md will be huge and all other skills will be ignored until ppl can use there favorite rod/horn. or maybe that's just me working that way because i'm lighting up dt with my lower lvl Fs rod in order to use my 101 mb horn and any other rods i may find (wait no my luck's not that good...)
ICH HASSE

Antoneja

« Reply #9 on: 13, December 2005, 22:42:43 »
Quote from: "smacky"
I don't have a problem with rodbabying. I have a problem with irresponsible rodbabying. This comes in two forms I think:

1. People who can't/won't angle their storms at a wall or blast them where they know there are no extra mobs that will be hit and 'woken';

2. LLPs who run around HL dungeons (ex, DT) rodbabying mobs they couldn't possibly kill without a device and which can kill them with a single blow/very easily.

In both cases the worst outcome (and a frequent one) is that the rodbaby gets killed and the mob(s)  rampage around looking for someone else to vent their anger on. The person they find is often tucked away in a corner, healing up after a hard battle, and in no position to defend themselves or run away.

Well said.
I'm with Kyle, you could wipe out the MD skill and I wouldn't mind a bit. Or make it so if a mob is killed with MD there is no bounty and no exp. But I think this has all been hashed out before.

longir

« Reply #10 on: 14, December 2005, 00:01:49 »
Quote from: "konokinda"

Right now md is the most wanted
I agree
and best
I disagree
skill to have since all of the more powerful things or in that category. it seems to me what u did was cause the exact opposite of what u wanted to happen.
all that I know of being intended is a bit of balancing.
now md will be huge and all other skills will be ignored until ppl can use there favorite rod/horn. or maybe that's just me working that way because i'm lighting up dt with my lower lvl Fs rod in order to use my 101 mb horn and any other rods i may find (wait no my luck's not that good...)
entirely possible most people will ignore everything but MD so they can use their favorite device, but that's what many people do anyhow.....they focus on using their favorite device to the exclusion of everything else.  some only use mb (or lower storm) to weaken and then kill with mb because they want to be mages.  the ones that do that are the ones most affected because they chose to totally ignore ph (and probably dp) training and can't survive without their device.  I also see them as being the ones to most benefit from the change.  by having to go back and raise MD (using wands in most cases) they also have the chance to raise other skills to be more survivable and to get more loot easier.
DM
Dev Team Member
Site Admin

Mostly retired from playing

Kinnison

« Reply #11 on: 14, December 2005, 00:12:45 »
THis change only really affects those with MD skill below 10 that cannot use a level 20 Rod/Horn.  You now have to find wands with limited charges and level up with them.  in the last 48 hours I have gone through 10 wands, and now have to pay high prices to even get them.

With no way to recharge wands this has become one of the biggest hurdles for a new character to overcome

I think in the long run it is good, because then you dont have rodbabies storming whole levels jsut to get good loot and XP. they now have to spend thier time killing ants slimes and kobolds live everyone else

Unislash

« Reply #12 on: 14, December 2005, 01:59:19 »
As MT has said, people will not use MD a ton because it will NOT BE AS POWERFUL as the real spells. Rods and horns and rods ARE NOT SUPPOSED to be powerful. They are supposed to be a last resort that you can only use once every few fights to get you out of a tough situation.

The problem is that sometimes one shot won't get you out of a tough situation, so we just made them have a max amount of uses, just like you Mana bar (yes, even rods have this--just different effects). Now, people are just saying "hey, why not use an uber powerful thing that has a few shots to weaken a monster and then kill it for xp?" so that is what they do. NO, bad. Beta 4 will fix this for the most part with exp sharing. Sure, you can do *all* of the damage with wands and such, but hey, it is going to take you a LONG time. Then, when you see the great spells which do more damage and are not available to rods and other MDs, you will say "why the heck did i spend so much money on these dang wands, anyways?"

So, be smart. B4 is coming out rather quickly. Want to end up like that guy there, or the person who didn't waste a week and much more money?

This is, at least, my hypothesis.

Cheers,
Unislash
Forum Admin/Mapmaker

smacky

« Reply #13 on: 14, December 2005, 13:17:34 »
Quote from: "Uni"
B4 is coming out rather quickly

<pedant annoying="yes">
    Soon, B4 is coming out rather soon. No-one can say this process has been 'quick.
</pedant>

:)

Bobthehobo

« Reply #14 on: 14, December 2005, 16:27:39 »
Ugh I leave this game for a few months and loook what happens.

It's the Hobo, back from the dead.

Wasn't the original plan for B4 just to nerf storm rods to make them only hit once. I think we all agreed that would completly end low level players in high level dungeons. That IMO had no downsides but this does. Now many lower level players can basically do nothing. It takes me several weeks with a level 72 MB horn to raise my Ph one level. Without it I'm completly screwed. My only choice it to attempt to work up my MD, but because I don't have a low level MD device that will be rather difficult. This change eliminated every chance of low level players being able to even compete with high level players. Magic Devices were the only area that a new player actually could beat a high level player with. Now high level players hold all the cards.

MT spoke of trying to make MD an unimportant skill which is what this will do. Why would you level up a skill to an extremely high level in order to pay a large sum of money for a device that is weaker then regular magic and has fewer spells. Only a few new payers would level this skill up to maybe 10 before realizing it is completely worthless and just start raising their Magic skill. MD will just be in the gutters again. But with it will go Ph. If spells are as strong or stronger than MDs then who in there right minds would level Ph? Mages would rule Daimonin. Why level Ph, a skill that does minimal damage and which to use you must get close to the mob and risk your own life, when instead you could spend the same amount of effort leveling a skill that allows you to identify items, summon creatures, confuse your enemy, even teleport and still does more damage at a far range than PH does at close.

I always thought of MDs as a method of equalizing players. To make it seem like even low level players that can't invest a large amount of time in this game could still succeed. A little over powerful, yes. But now you have completely barred its usage by the people who really need it. Makes no since to me. Making them a bit weaker seemed to answer all our problems.

Tags: