Language: 
To browser these website, it's necessary to store cookies on your computer.
The cookies contain no personal information, they are required for program control.
  the storage of cookies while browsing this website, on Login and Register.

Author Topic:  Reputation systems  (Read 1571 times)

Lothien

« on: 16, December 2005, 14:02:38 »
Hello Ladies, Gentleman and eventual sons-of-a-MOB :)

I've been thinking about a very important thing in almost all digital mediated social environment that could be made more explicit in Daimonin...

Let's talk about Reputation Systems. ;)

As we all know Reputation is the measure of the good (or bad) impressions we make in our community about our behaviour, ethics, knowledge and skills. It's the reputation, the recognization of the people about someone's capabilities and trustiness (and, i hope, about it's humour too) that make natural leaders of people. It's the same reputation system that creates groups of "us" and "thems", tells you what people are naturaly aligned with you even before you know then (sometimes mistankenly) and, most important of all, are the Reputation Systems that make people behave or not in front of its peers...

Its not a plain good or bad thing. Reputation has it pros and cons, but, there's no discussion they ALWAYS exist. Being a very real and present thing in everyones life, and a good measure of what you are behind your power and wealth, reputation is a MUST in any social environment.

There is, already, a social reputation system between the folks in Daimonin. By this list we aknowledge who is a good guy, who is fun to play, quest and train with and who has the bad habit of stealing your arrows or your kills. But, what about making it EXPLICIT ingame?

My idea is: Why not make a simple reputation status system that shows in your character's stats, and that can be seen when you examine someone or, better yet, when you probe someone? Why not make this reputation thing not an automatic thing, but a social thing like a "rating" of everyone you know? Maybe there could be a way to "rate" everyone, maybe in b4 or b5, when the tavern and all the other "agora"* are already functioning?

I know that's just a vague suggestion, but i needed to make this one.

Let's use this topic to discuss how would be the reputation system for Daimonin?
"...unsmiling, he walked away silently. They watched in silence as walked down the valley, until he vanished among the trees. Hate and respect mingled in the air over the hill. Inside his jester soul, he laughed all the way."
(the tales of D

Lothien

« Reply #1 on: 16, December 2005, 14:56:41 »
Sorry for posting in my own post, but it's the best place to go on a little further with my ideas...

Reputation System: automatic (the game records your deeds), social (people report your misdeeds and you report and PROVE your good deeds) or mixed (people report your misdeeds, that are accespted by the game record of them, and people record your good deeds, that can be contested or not by other people, depending of their reputations)?

Possible Reputation methods: positive/negative score, named (like people's defender, thief, murderer, bad guy, hero, the bane of the pumpkins...), mixed (names for specific acts, score for your overall behaviour)

Reputation hoarding: it would be fun, and very useful for the social equilibrium of the game, that people want to have a good reputation that saves them from PKing, gives em disctounts at the shop and makes NPC's good willed to him. Bad reputation could give you problems like increased fees, being open for PKing, being cast out of the city...

these are just some ideas. i would love to delve on that, but i have to go to work...

is there anyone interested in this besides me? :)
"...unsmiling, he walked away silently. They watched in silence as walked down the valley, until he vanished among the trees. Hate and respect mingled in the air over the hill. Inside his jester soul, he laughed all the way."
(the tales of D

longir

« Reply #2 on: 16, December 2005, 17:15:36 »
as I see it, everyone has a reputation and that reputation is different to different people.  To some people, I'm a great guy, to others I'm a total jerk.  And to a different group, I'm just another person that they couldn't care less about.  One thing I've noticed about it though is it tends to go by age of player as much as by in-game actions.  If I don't KS and steal arrows, and actually disdain those actions, then to those that do, I'm a total jerk.  To others that also disdain those actions, I may be a great guy.  I don't see that as something you can measure for everyone.  It naturally has to be on a case by case basis.
DM
Dev Team Member
Site Admin

Mostly retired from playing

Lothien

« Reply #3 on: 16, December 2005, 18:41:36 »
I understand your point, Longir, but i was thinking in a way of using this reputation in... game mechanics. Something like your reputation being used to grant you bonuses in some cases (or places) and penalties in onter cases (or places) depending on your reputation score or kind.

Maybe there should be a system to "grab" this natural reputation that already exists. Something ado with Allegiances and citizenship or membership in this or that town or guild. This reputation can be "sine qua non" condition for some memberships, may give you better or worse prices at the smithy, can weight your vote in cases of accusing criminals and the like...

i don't have the time to defend the idea further now, but i'm glad if people give a look at it.
(the tales of D

longir

« Reply #4 on: 16, December 2005, 19:41:38 »
there is talk about such related to race relations.....you kill orcs, elves like you:orcs hate you.  that is measurable and the only reputation that can be measured and wouldn't have an effect on pc-pc relations.  but could cause trouble for you in an orc town.  though if it was tied into PvP where you're friendly with orcs and you kill an enemy of the orcs/friend of the elves the orcs would think even more highly of you (and elves even less).
DM
Dev Team Member
Site Admin

Elephantey

« Reply #5 on: 16, December 2005, 20:13:27 »
Yeah I agree with Longir. Anything emotive like relationships between people and hence reputations are impossible for an ingame system to monitor. The other way to work it as you say is to have people vote. Consider this, evil ele pays a bunch of noobs to vote highly of him. Then a hi lvl player (good ele) comes along and thinks hmm, this guys sounds good. He drops his rod for evil ele to have a look at and whoosh its gone, just like that, total profit for evil ele=very hi. There are many other ways for this system to be exploited :(
Captainof 1st class of the 6th regiment of D-unit
Co-leader of Knights Of The Silver Order
Leader of regiment 2 in the Slayers
Looking minor dam armour of any kind (ie helmet or chestplate or boots etc)
http://www.freewebs.com/elephantey/

Ellwoodblues

« Reply #6 on: 16, December 2005, 20:26:05 »
* it seems Ele posted faster than I could type... :P *

While I agree about the reputation thing ( from both of you so far) I lean more towards having the other players rate you, but it having little to nothing to do with the actual game mechanics.

That way if say, i dont like Longir I just start making new characters like crazy to be sure that all NPC's treat Longir like a bad guy.

I'd much rather have a straight foward player-rate-player in a short poll type interface ( the results could then be averaged to give a general social reputation), any other player wanting to look at the reputation of somebody would see the averge reputation "score," the number of other players that have rated this player, who the rating players are and maybe a short 60 word "personal critique" that would give more idea about a player's repuation.  The poll and "personal critique" could be changed at any time by the individual that posted the rating ( in case a character decided to be an ass all of a sudden.)

For example a 5 question poll about me gives me an average general social reputation of 5( out of 10);
Longir probes me to look at my reputation ( or some other way of viewing my reputation) and sees my reputation as 5 ( out of 10), Longir also can see that only 5 people have rated me, Longir can click on a menu that lists the names of the 5 players that rated me, Longir clicks on one of them, Ratix--the menu changes to show a what Ratix has to say about me.  This menu could even give Ratix's answers to the reputation poll, OR just an anonymous list of the poll answers.  

While I can see a good use of the "60 word" personal critique attached to the player' reputation it might get people's feelings hurt or cause a fued or something silly like that.  Here is what I would hope the majority of the "personal critiques" would look like for say Gnub_slayer:

"Gnub is a really high level player, very helpful to new players if they are in NEED of help and assistance (No whining, begging or abusing this priviledge.)  Gnub will uphold the rules agreed uppon by the community but also views individual infractions of the laws on a case by case basis. Gnub seems to make great efforts to be both fair and equal."

Though I know somebody would flame the hell outta somebody, so thats a problem.
The player-rating-player would at least be more realistic. IMHO
Being able to change the rating that I post about another player can reflect changes in how me and another player think of each other.
Hopefully would give new players something to go off of when trying to figure out who to trust when trying to level in a crowded area or trade with another player.

longir

« Reply #7 on: 17, December 2005, 00:07:17 »
what does it really matter what 20 people think of some other person?  people will like who they like and dislike those they dislike.  their opinions can change, the person they used to dislike can do something that they are now neutral or even like them. and vice versa.  And just because 20 people don't like someone, doesn't mean I won't trade with them.  Some people are more influential than others.  I just give people a chance to show themselves.  That doesn't mean I automatically trust everyone or like everyone.  If I've ever played a game that had reputations, I never used them.
DM
Dev Team Member
Site Admin

Ratix

« Reply #8 on: 17, December 2005, 00:49:42 »
No. Not more reputation. I don't want that following me around coded in the server, how hard would it be to change it then?

smacky

« Reply #9 on: 17, December 2005, 01:36:13 »
Quote from: "Ratix"
No. Not more reputation. I don't want that following me around coded in the server, how hard would it be to change it then?

Nothing to add, just worth repeating (sorry forum admins).

Ellwoodblues

« Reply #10 on: 17, December 2005, 04:59:08 »
Ratix, you have a band? * clicks on link, looks in gallery, almost shoots milk outta my nose *

Naomeire

« Reply #11 on: 17, December 2005, 08:43:18 »
I think that in many rpg type systems reputation ratings have been attempted.  For example, your alignment.  This is very subjective, and thus, difficult to code.  I'd rather not see a coded attempt to deal with this complex and very opinionated concept.

IMO, NPC's should be pretty much neutral.  Treat all players the same, after all....gold coins are gold coins.  If I walk into a shop, and the clerk doesn't like me....will he refuse to accept my cash?  No.

Players on the other hand, are not a simple system of if/else statements.  The player character has a mind, a very complex decision engine that is capable of taking into account many varying shades of truth and half truth.  Leave it to the PC's how to handle reputation.  After all, we are the community and not so much the NPC's.  They are only there to serve some purpose in the game, to hand out quests, to trade, or to teach.  I am not against a 'rating system' driven by the players.  Though I do think that in an 'ancient' society like Daimonin is supposed to be, you don't want to make too much information available to all.  After all, you can't hit a terminal in medeival times and do a background search to determine criminal record.

An 'old hand' like say Longir for example, would know many players and their reputations.  He may choose to share that inforamtion.  He may choose to keep it a secret.  Where a newer player, lacking roots in the community, would not know many players.  They would not have that information.  They are new to the area.  If they are wise, they might ask a long time resident about a given player before dealing with them.  If they are unwise, they may just throw caution to the wind and go on.  Either way, they will learn something in the experience.  Their wisdom will determine the cost of that lesson.

Summed up, leave it to the community to determine the reputation of a player, and how this information is passed to other players.
Naomeire
Battle Mage, Artist, Mapwiz

Steel44

« Reply #12 on: 17, December 2005, 10:20:11 »
Lothien how elaborate of a rep system are you thinking of?  Hate to compare or talk about a game, but it's just easier this way.  Do you mean a rep system like UO (ultima online)?  Where depending on your rep, positive or negative, it just adds a description to your name like, Famed Arkanis (my in game character) or Respectable Arkanis?  And if you where at negative rep, things like guards would attack you on site, because you are a well known criminal?  Things like that I don't think would interfere with the game at all, it didn't in UO (again hate to bring up another game).  But if it was based on a voting system, I think it could easily be exploited.  So as Naomeire said, leave it to the community.
From knowledge springs Power, just as weakness stems from Ignorance.

Lothien

« Reply #13 on: 17, December 2005, 10:30:25 »
Consider this, evil ele pays a bunch of noobs to vote highly of him. Then a hi lvl player (good ele) comes along and thinks hmm, this guys sounds good. He drops his rod for evil ele to have a look at and whoosh its gone, just like that, total profit for evil ele=very hi. There are many other ways for this system to be exploited Sad

How do you think, my friend, that bad politicians get elected? :)

In the other hand, i agree with the points of Ellwood, master Longir (see the reputation think working?) and Naomaire (who had a REAL GOOD point). :)

But a "reputation" system could be many other things besides "people votes about people" and/or system scores. In the other hand (i'm so ambidexterous today) i tend to like Naomaires idea of "natural, player to player, mouth to mouth, reputation". ;)

I rest my case (on reputation, for now). :)

Someone does want to hear my new ideas about PvP or should i prepare to dodge tomatoes and Shurikens +2 of Accuracy? :)
(the tales of D

gnub_slayer

« Reply #14 on: 21, December 2005, 18:56:07 »
No no no  and again NO!

This isnt necessary in our relatively small society.  If you need to know about somebody who plays the game,
just do a /who and do your own poll by private message to a random set of players currently on line.  While this may get tiresome to determine a players reputation, it is and ever shall be the best way to get to know who another player is and what their underlying character is.

okay there!  I said it
Gnu - like the open source mascot
B - like the programming language before C

Pronunciation - NU + Bee or Newbie

Tags: