Language: 
To browser these website, it's necessary to store cookies on your computer.
The cookies contain no personal information, they are required for program control.
  the storage of cookies while browsing this website, on Login and Register.

Author Topic:  teamspeak  (Read 8851 times)

Unislash

« on: 07, January 2006, 02:05:36 »
Hey clanners. This is going to be short and sweet so you guys can discuss this new idea:

http://www.goteamspeak.com

Legal stuff is that if teamspeak is used for a commercial purpose, you've got to register it. That is my, and many many other gamers', understanding of it :). So go nuts i think...

Cheers,
Unislash
Forum Admin/Mapmaker

Antoneja

« Reply #1 on: 07, January 2006, 04:48:43 »
That seems to be something like Skype. It's a great idea and it's really nice voice chatting with others that you play the game with. The only problem is lots of people are too shy to let others hear their voice ("I have an accent..." Yeah, so? In case you didn't know, accents are hot.).
And some people (Kyle) have a webcam, but claim to not have a mic. Hmm..

Unislash

« Reply #2 on: 17, January 2006, 00:09:56 »
Well, guys, any clans want to use that? I think it'd be great later, so you may want to establish it now :).

Cheers,
Unislash
Forum Admin/Mapmaker

Celtica

« Reply #3 on: 23, January 2006, 19:25:31 »
This sounds really cool..I can see it now.Clan leader giving orders to fighters/mages/healers during a raid,just like a SWAT team.I am going to have to read about this and try to get it happening on my rig.

Slash_Wraith

« Reply #4 on: 23, January 2006, 21:11:35 »
I have a mic but no webcam, I'd be fine with playing around on Teamspeak, I use it for first person shooters in my clan.
You have read something interesting/funny. It was a good signature. That's all you need to know.
Mysteria's husband. Don't touch. I'm her property.

demon_killer

« Reply #5 on: 28, January 2006, 17:17:26 »
I really like what I have read about Teamspeak. Sounds like something that will make the game a lot more interesting. We can share more information with each other in a shorter amount of time, and also cooridinate larger functions as a whole.

This Idea gets a big thumbs up from me.
Life is to short, enjoy what you have.

Asuruga

« Reply #6 on: 04, February 2006, 07:08:02 »
I made a daimonin server on Teamspeak Public 2, so come on down :P

Ellwoodblues

« Reply #7 on: 04, February 2006, 15:21:42 »
If it works well, and has the "thumbs up" from some of you then I'm all for it.

Hellofalot easier than trying to type and fight and heal and run and give directions at the same time, when the game is laggy.

Ellwoodblues

« Reply #8 on: 10, February 2006, 20:44:48 »
Anybody have a server addy they want to post?

After playing with the teamspeak client today I can address the "shyness" issue.  

If you are playing in a group you dont want to speak, then dont.  But a shy player can still jump onto Teamspeak with a group he/she is going hunting with and can listen in, while typing in game.  Just don't have a mic plugged in.

Antoneja

« Reply #9 on: 11, February 2006, 10:28:27 »
How many people can chat at once, Ellwood? Is it a big program? It's hard to chat on Skype with 4 others (seems max is 5) on our comp, it really slows our game.

smacky

« Reply #10 on: 11, February 2006, 11:29:16 »
Yeah, I was wondering about this and a few other things, Ant.I've briefly looked at the teamspeak site and FAQ, but I think people with practical experience can answer the questions better.
z
It looks as if the number of 'speakers' is theoretically unlimited but defaults to max 16.

Bandwidth issues? I'm not clever enough to do the calculations given in the FAQ (Shroud? Longir? You like these things :) ), but more 'speakers' = more bandwidth.

Do the voice messages get translated to text (in which case we get even more dodgy sentence construction and spelling and/or f-oh-net-ik-al-ee spelled words?) or will we have two classes of player, those with mics (and high speed connections), and those with keyboards?

Do voice comms work in massively multiplayer games? AIUI they have been designed around FPS where you have 8, 12, 16, or maybe 32 players max and usually fairly focussed and limited conversationn whereas here we have a potentially unlimited number of players (100s anyway) and, because of the comparatively slow gameplay, and the style of game) a lot more conversation going on.

I'm not anti this idea (hell, its for clans, what do I care?). I'm just wondering.

Unislash

« Reply #11 on: 11, February 2006, 18:59:16 »
The max by default is 16, but you guessed correctly that you can set it to be unlimited. We have never had 16 on it, lol :P. I believe it only puts stress on the server (or comp hosting). The voice messages do not get translated to text, which would be awesome. You can communicate text-wise, but it is rather hard. I'm sure there is hotkeys for entering text, but i never used text enough to learn them. The mics do not require high speed connection at all, and you can get a cheap one for 5$.

The voice communication for the whole game? That would be very very interesting. This is where longir would come in and calculate the load for some 100 players, and see if our new server (which MT is working on) can take that and gameplay easily. You can have as many channels as you want (admins make them). For example, in our guild teamspeak for GW we had a few for questing, a few for general talk, a few for RPG, a few for non-related talk, a few for help, and a few for PVP communication. And this was for a guild that has 30 some members in it :P (we overextended that, in other words).

Hope i could help ya smacky.

Cheers,
Unislash
Forum Admin/Mapmaker

Antoneja

« Reply #12 on: 11, February 2006, 19:44:59 »
But I would be too shy for others to hear my accent. :lol:

Elephantey

« Reply #13 on: 11, February 2006, 19:55:52 »
Could you have like different coloured voice for different channels? SOrta like red for trade (e.g.) and blue for general talk, yellow for role-playing, green for clan, grey for guild etc.
Captainof 1st class of the 6th regiment of D-unit
Co-leader of Knights Of The Silver Order
Leader of regiment 2 in the Slayers
Looking minor dam armour of any kind (ie helmet or chestplate or boots etc)
http://www.freewebs.com/elephantey/

smacky

« Reply #14 on: 11, February 2006, 21:02:52 »
@ Uni, thanks, but yYou've kind of skirted round my main question without really answering it. :P

Will talkers and typers be able to adequately intercommunicate? For example, I assume that anyone with speakers (and running the teamspeak sw) can actually hear the talkers; yes? But what about people who play with game sound turned off and a CD playing in the background (if they're like me 'background' is just a space-filler and not really a word with meaning); they'll miss the voice convo (yes, you can say it's their choice).

What about speed issues? Obviously people type at different speeds from each other, but basically we're all at a comparable (dis)advantage. But talking is much faster than typing; typers will be at a real disadvantage in, ie, auctions. This is no reason not to allow teamspeak, but it'd be nice to have a solution (maybe there is?).

I had a third point, but it's slipped my mind.

It seems to me that teamspeak would be ideal for small groups where all members have it (ie, analagous to FPS teams) and would be a real advantage in rapid organisation and coordination of attacks, etc. But it's maybe a little impractical for larger/more diverse conglomerations of players (ie, clans). As always, I could be wrong though.

Tags: