Language: 
To browser these website, it's necessary to store cookies on your computer.
The cookies contain no personal information, they are required for program control.
  the storage of cookies while browsing this website, on Login and Register.

Poll

Put your mark on this idea (5 is awesome, 1 useless)

3 (75%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
I don't want this feature froom any other reason
1 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Voting closed: 14, January 2006, 10:46:05

Author Topic:  Movies/demos recording  (Read 814 times)

LordGrunt

« on: 14, January 2006, 10:46:05 »
My idea relies on demos you can record in Quake 3. I think that having ability to record all of the actions that happen on client's screen would be usefull in many ways, from recording strategies, presenting your appartment, showing paths to distant areas, recording events, thievery, flame wars or even some great finds. Demos, previously recorded from inside client (during normal playing) could be then played, again, from inside of client only. Let me explain in detail how i thought it can be implemented.

First i'll remind whats the way of packets that server sends to client.
1.Server
2.Network
3.Client(server's packets deciphering algorithm)
4.Client(display)

If between 2 & 3 we will place algorithm:
1.Server
2.Network
2a. Client(demo recording algorithm)
4.Client(display)

then, if toggled, demo recording can begin. My idea of recording it was that every single packet sent to client is stored in a file with a timestamp attached to every one of those packets. Then, we will need an algorithm to play recorded files:

1.Server
2.Network
2a. Client(read demo file, simulation of recieving server packets)
2b. Client(demo recording algorithm)
4.Client(display)

Demo recording should be started from both main menu and from command "/record demo_file_name". From main menu, when 'Demos' position is selected it leads to submenu:
1. Record demo.
2. Play demo.
2. Stop recording.

1 leads to input dialog that tells you to enter filename, when accepted it starts recording
2 leads to dialog box with a list of demos stored on disk, lets say, under client/demos/ dir, when one is accepted, playback begins
3 quite obvious :)

Im sure that we currently have a lot of other more important coding tasks. However, as this idea might sound complicated, the idea relies on quite simple rules described above. Im not sure it how much of a work it require, but it is not that scary as it looks at the first glance. Playback of demo files requires in fact only an agorithm that simulates a server sending packets which are read from file. The rest is done normally by the client. Except that when in playback mode, you are disconnected and you have no control over the movie (or tha player) besides escape key. Maybe rewind/ff or pause keys can be added but no pressure on that :)

As a last step, Demos forum can be added, where players post their files. Files could be stored on webserver, even if the sizes of original file is quite big, im sure zipping it would provide good results.

Having bigger library of demo files would be yet another factor that makes our community stronger. Imagine a thief willing to make his 'job'; he needs to keep in mind that anyone around can be currently recording :)

Elephantey

« Reply #1 on: 14, January 2006, 13:41:58 »
Maybe you can view videos in the library as well as books. Might be a nice place to put it in.
Captainof 1st class of the 6th regiment of D-unit
Co-leader of Knights Of The Silver Order
Leader of regiment 2 in the Slayers
Looking minor dam armour of any kind (ie helmet or chestplate or boots etc)
http://www.freewebs.com/elephantey/

LordGrunt

« Reply #2 on: 15, January 2006, 10:36:57 »
Im really surprised to get almost no feedback about this idea. I was sure you'll love it, looks like i was wrong.

Or is it that this topic just dissapeared too fast in 'View New Posts'??
Please, keep on posting & using poll!

longir

« Reply #3 on: 15, January 2006, 14:33:40 »
hmmmmm.....would be helpful catching thieves, but the new trade interface will drastically reduce theft anyhow.  could be useful as a tutorial, but those that would need it probably wouldn't use it (like the signs in the current tutorial).  also making the recording would increase the system requirements (need a little more powerful processor than a P3 500 and more than 128 MB RAM).  The coding for it (my estimate) would be 18-24 hours.  Where would demo files be stored?  I'm assuming on client PC's, so there's hard drive space being taken (how large would a file be?  10MB per hour (if graphics included in the file maybe more?) maybe)?  It's an interesting idea, just not sure how useful it would be.  How many people would use it to review their tactics and see where they went wrong or how to improve on attacking a certain mob?  I don't think as many as needed to justify the extra resources.  Just my thoughts in a hurry.
DM
Dev Team Member
Site Admin

Mostly retired from playing

Elephantey

« Reply #4 on: 15, January 2006, 19:48:36 »
I would love to trall throught those resources to fine tune my technique, but reading documentation, nah, too dull!
Captainof 1st class of the 6th regiment of D-unit
Co-leader of Knights Of The Silver Order
Leader of regiment 2 in the Slayers
Looking minor dam armour of any kind (ie helmet or chestplate or boots etc)
http://www.freewebs.com/elephantey/

Tags: