Language: 
To browser these website, it's necessary to store cookies on your computer.
The cookies contain no personal information, they are required for program control.
  the storage of cookies while browsing this website, on Login and Register.

Author Topic:  Shout/Auction Keywords  (Read 1913 times)

yogibayer

« on: 24, February 2006, 15:53:41 »
I have looked through the suggestions and haven't seen this one mentioned.

I am often fighting and miss auctions that are going on for things that I would have bid on, because it blends into the background durring the battle.  I do, however, notice when some /tells me something, because it is a different color.  I would love to be able to select keywords like: +2, Mana, Pierce or anything i'm currently looking for and have that /shout show up in a different color.  It wouldn't guarantee that I would notice it, but at least I would have a shot at it.

Obviously this is a pie in the sky idea and doesn't improve gameplay in any way whatsoever, but if there's time and the inclination, i think people would like it.
Had to copy Twiztid's sig idea :)

Magicstorm's Stats
MB 110
PH 110
DP 110
AG 110
Punch 110
MD 94
Throw 27

carasoph

« Reply #1 on: 24, February 2006, 19:42:28 »
I think that a different color for /Auction is better......say - Purple......
That would be alot easier to make....lol
You may enter - If you know what's cooking...(-;

smacky

« Reply #2 on: 24, February 2006, 19:42:34 »
A simpler/better way to do it would be to have, ie, /auction as suggested in Chat Filters.

A better way than that would be to have shout channels as mentioned in (odd? a brief search doesn't turn up anything useful but I'm sure I remember posting stuff about channels myself; hm, maybe on the old site -- anyway it's an obvious idea found in many other games). I think channels are desirable anyway, but not necessarily for auctions.

The best way would be to integrate these into gameplay, as suggestd all over the place, but this is a good thread: Player Shops.

Comith

« Reply #3 on: 24, February 2006, 19:43:22 »
I think when you go into the inventory with <shift>, there should be a button you can press (possibly S for sell) that would auto-shout (in a different colour!) the stats of the item, and tell that it's for sale. Something along the lines of:

<name of item> for sale or auction! <stats>! Contact <player name> for information!
I buy feathered hats. /tell me about it.

smacky

« Reply #4 on: 24, February 2006, 19:47:55 »
Hm, a good theory but it would need some safeguards or shout would be full of:

Fatfingers shouts: <name of item> for sale or auction! <stats>! Contact <player name> for information!
    Fatfingers shouts: Oops! Pressed S by mistake, sorry!

Comith

« Reply #5 on: 24, February 2006, 19:56:46 »
A dialog box then? Asking if you're sure you want to sell?

smacky

« Reply #6 on: 25, February 2006, 12:50:40 »
Yeah, that would fix Fatfingers' foolish frolics, BUT I wonder if making auctions so easy to initiate (2 keypresses) would have the side-effect of encouraging people to auction any old crap without thinking?

For example, I return from training with 50 items, pouches, torches, booze, small pine clubs, and other non-magical junk.

Because it's so easy and I'm a noob -- and don't realise all you can really do with such junk is sell it to the shop, give it away, collect it, or just drop it -- I press S and Y 50 times each (quickly learning to allow 2 seconds between Y-pressings so I don't get auto-muted) and, tada!, I've massively spammed the shoutbox! (And I won't go into the knock-on effects of this.)

IOW, not automating the process of shouting auctions acts as a self-deterrent to spamming.

longir

« Reply #7 on: 25, February 2006, 18:22:46 »
I know I'm not looking to buy anything in particular, and most of the stuff that comes up I really don't have any interest in, and when I'm deep in Santa's workshop training DP, I don't want to be running back to town every 2 minutes.  Perhaps an extra text box area with /auction to access.  Then those that don't want to view it constantly can turn it off.  People would still shout it (they'd do it no matter what was done), but then anyone interested could turn on the auction box.
DM
Dev Team Member
Site Admin

Mostly retired from playing

Comith

« Reply #8 on: 25, February 2006, 21:57:30 »
Well how about no shortcut key by default? That would stop newbies who don't know how to bind keys from selling quickly, and most would not have the patience to "/sell <name of item>" so much. Or perhaps we could not mention it in the tutorial? Then they'd probably get more experience and mabye understand some things NOT   to sell before learning of "/sell"?

Or a level cap of some kind. Say, at least lvl 10 to "/sell", or something.

smacky

« Reply #9 on: 25, February 2006, 23:24:26 »
@ Longir, Yeah I guess this is a bit of a 'realism' vs. convenience thing.

An extra text box just for auctions seems like a space-hogging way to introduce an inflexible system of chat channels (hehe that was fun :) ). Wouldn't it be better to have numbered subscribable channels where you get messages in the shoutbox from all channels you are subscribed to (and only those channels)? Ie:

Smacky shouts (#1): Me me me!
    Longir shouts (#1): Stop spamming, Smacky
    Comith shouts (#2): Selling junk. Who'll by my junk?

Longir, who has not subscribed to channel 2 (auctions) is not bothered by Comith's banter.

@ Comith, I don't think any of that would work too well. As stupid as noobs can be they aren't actually stupid and would simply customise the ir bindings. Or other players (including me) would tell them to. And the documentation (including mine) would document how.

Similar answer if things were deliberately left out of the tutorial (plus that would be bad practice).

The level req is probably the best solution (and of course there is already a level 2 requirement on /shouting at all). But it is actually low- to mid-levels who most do the auction-spamming and what ever level you set it at, the reasonable question is going to be 'in what way are player of level N+1 inherently more responsible than players of level N?' Noobishness is a state of mind that transcends level (noob != newbie).

Comith

« Reply #10 on: 26, February 2006, 00:37:08 »
First part of your post:

So there would be different channels (perhaps shouts from different channels come in different colours) that you must subscrible to? Like if you're subscribed to all you get shouts from all channels (and an absolute rainbow of text if there's different colours :/), or you could just subcribe to one or two channels, etc.. Then there would be a "/subscribe <channel number>" to subscribe I suppose.

That would work, but then would we have /shout1 to shout on channel 1? And /shout2 to shout on channel 2? etc.

Or would there be buttons next to the shoutbox (relocate the "break" button slightly higher and put buttons underneath) that you would press to switch channels, and your /shout would go in whatever channel currently being viewed? Then it would be easy to miss an auction/sale if you were having a lively conversation, and you'd have to keep changing back and forth between channels...

Second part of your post:

I agree completely, but suffice to say most people will not understand the economy sufficiently until about a dozen levels in. Sadly humans aren't nearly so predictable and there will still be the odd person (not counting alt account) who understands the economy really early.

smacky

« Reply #11 on: 26, February 2006, 18:41:58 »
I've seen both ways of talking over channels implemented.

My personal preferance is for a keyboard-controlled method. Ie, /shout 1 <msg>.

To temporarily only see msgs from one channel to which you were subscribed you would have, ie, /filter <number>|all.

The problem with filter buttons is each one takes up valuable on-screen real estate. Still, I can visualise a way of doing this which would miinimise this problem (have a left-to-right scrollable single line of filter buttons at the top of the shoutbox).

Unislash

« Reply #12 on: 26, February 2006, 20:41:59 »
Okay, here's what i've got to bring to the table. I checked out (and play a bit) the MMORPG Guild Wars, and since the beginning i've been looking at how they do things. The way the do the new player thing, the way they have their economy, the way the gameplay moves, trade interface, and their communication. It is werid, because we are changing to be more towards how they do everything :P. Anyway, the way they do their chat is with tabs. You can quite easily take off any type of tab (aka filter) by clicking the button on one side of the chat interface, and you can quite easily switch between the tabs via clicking or shift+1-4. There are good and bad things with this. For one, even I (experienced player) get mixed up and talk in the wrong tab. I actually do this a ton :P. However, it is so user friendly and easy to control i almost prefer this over typing /reply or /shout every time.

So, pretty much... tabs are an interesting way, and GW has perfected this for the simple players to understand how to use it. We could also use a combo, like typing /shout will automatically move you to the shout channel, or you could just use tabs. I just think they are on to something here, because everything else is polished to near perfection.

Cheers,
Unislash
Forum Admin/Mapmaker

Tags: