Language: 
To browser these website, it's necessary to store cookies on your computer.
The cookies contain no personal information, they are required for program control.
  the storage of cookies while browsing this website, on Login and Register.

Author Topic:  New char arrival  (Read 8422 times)

longir

« on: 03, March 2006, 17:51:56 »
How about an option for when new chars are created, they have a choice of which city to arrive at and hence be a citizen of....i.e stoneglow, stonehaven, etc.  It would go well with the government and other planned and suggested ideas like community/clan/race relations.  It would also require more mapping to provide areas for all levels in each of the towns.  Community citizenship could also be used with guilds/deities/classes to determine what you can/can't learn.  Like a seaport community would have boating/fishing type skills, while an agricultural community would have leatherworking/farming, a mountain community would have smithing/mining, etc.  And spells/prayers learnable would vary as well...mountain community could have earth type, seaport could have water or elec (lots of storms), agricultural greater restoration attunement, etc.

EDIT:  probably an option for changing citizenship (along with benefits/penalties) would also be needed.
DM
Dev Team Member
Site Admin

Mostly retired from playing

dwarrior

« Reply #1 on: 03, March 2006, 18:02:10 »
Sounds cool.
Dwarrior may have returned while you weren't looking.

smacky

« Reply #2 on: 03, March 2006, 19:39:02 »
Yes, this is one of the areas of development that (IMO) would need attention before any sort of political structure would be viable.

Shroud

« Reply #3 on: 04, March 2006, 06:41:48 »
Another option could be to make it race related, if new races are planned, and then you could get for example a dwarf village excelling in mining, earth spells etc. Although that would be something that would be a fair time away to implement as atm we have 2 races.

Another idea that could be interesting is lets say I decided to go and kill everyone in my "hometown", would that mean I'd get exiled from there and lose my citizenship? Also if I did lose my citizenship would I find it very hard to be accepted elsewhere or would there be an city that's at war with my previous homeland that'd take me in? Another possibility is I'd need to atone for my crime in some way? Also if you did get exiled what'd happen to the skills learnt in my previous town? Logical choice I assume is either to have them revoked as a penalty or possibly converted to some sort of skill points which would be reassigned when I joined a new town, probably with % loss
Doesn't matter, you'd die anyway. ;D Shroud's a hacker. After many hours of deep thought I have came to that conclusion.

bigbroni

« Reply #4 on: 04, March 2006, 10:18:00 »
Well Shroud, sounds interresting and I agree with the idea of a changing system so far. - I don t agree with loses of skills (or what it would be in fact exp lose). 2example to why I disagree to loses: RW: In the medival age, nearly all craftsman guilds send thier apprentices on a traval for 1-3 years (depends on guild) during that time they were suposed to learn new technics and procedures (skills) to benefit from them when thry later return. - In many RPGs there is a change of char-class possible (and has some impact on skills also) but a change of citizenship has no impact on skills. - To have changes in skills there must be a class not a town change. - In case that would be implemented I c a kind of a bonus system which is changed. -

As u may know my favorit pen/paper RPG is Rolemaster, the old system provides there a good guidline to char classes changes, level boni are frozen at the point they are before the class change, after class change new lvl boni start again from lvl 1. - Even if the overall lvl is now much higher. - E.g. a barbar decides at lvl 20 to change to the wizard class (he still has to fulfill all reqs of the new class - lol I wonder the GM would even alow that) - The char will keep the lvl boni he gained in the weapons / wilderness / animal / gymastic - categories but will start in the wizard class as a lvl 1 and gets the new lvl boni of the wizard class in magic / law / social 7 etc - exp it gained seperatly in this class, for resistans purposes the benefit he has is that the is a lvl 21 char at that point.

- I hope I was not to confusing lol

w/r bigbroni
w/r bigbroni alias Peronaria

Praise the holy Tabernacle !!! - allways :-)

smacky

« Reply #5 on: 04, March 2006, 15:20:03 »
I was a bit confused, if that's any help. :wink:

I don't see the logic of having skills retroactively penalized because of political flipflopping.

Surely this should affect alignment and your status with various factions. It doesn't make sense that you switch from the reds to the blues and now can't fire an arrow as far.

longir

« Reply #6 on: 04, March 2006, 18:48:57 »
it does in a way, because you're spending more time focusing on training your newly acquired skills that you spend less time maintaining your old ones.  and for the magic/prayers, if you're attuned fire/denied water for your original affiliation, then change and are attuned water/denied fire, you wouldn't be able to use your fire based spells even though you still know them.  or attuned healing/denied wounding and change deities to attuned wounding/denied healing.  that can also affect skills....perhaps you're in a fighter guild in one town then leave it and join a monastery and become a monk and be denied use of weaps at all.
DM
Dev Team Member
Site Admin

Mostly retired from playing

smacky

« Reply #7 on: 04, March 2006, 20:24:35 »
I love these theoretical arguments over concepts which themselves are only theories yet. :)

you're spending more time focusing on training your newly acquired skills that you spend less time maintaining your old ones.

Hm, Daimonin skills don't really work like that, though -- skills don't deteriorate with insufficient mantenance (although that might be an interesting development).

As for the attuned fire/denied water thing (what are you on about? is this scheduled for inclusion in Daimonin or did you just make it up?) perhaps this should actually prevent you from changing to a guild/whatever that requires the opposite? Or not prevent you absolutely -- being able to go from anywhere to anywhere is one of Daimonin's strengths -- but prevent you changing directly in one step.

Shroud

« Reply #8 on: 05, March 2006, 04:08:44 »
OK, well basically the way I saw it if you transferred town and gained different ones if you retained old skills then it'd get abused and everyone would simply be a member of every town, changing whenever you wanted/needed a different skill to be use/improved. You may want that but then being a member of a specific town loses it's meaning imo

Then if skills can't be cumulative and you can only have one then you get issue of what happens to training you've done in previous skills and I saw 3 possibilities

1. A direct 1:1 transfer of XP in skills assuming each town has a similar amount of skills. So a lvl 50 farmer would become a lvl 50 fisherman etc, a lvl 50 water mage becomes a lvl 50 fire mage etc. Depending on how easy it is to change town this could mean you could change town to suit your needs for the day with no actual penalties. For example I go mining and join the mining village, then want to craft a bit so I join the crafting village, then decide to fight with my new equip and join a fighting spe****ed village etc

2. A transfer of skills but with some losses. For example let's say you had a town diety, you'd be just as skilled at using divine spells but on the other the rappore with your new god would be nearly non-existant. Also let's say you had lots of experience in farming you'd have some experience in how to care for the land etc but a veteran farmer can't become a veteran fisherman overnight, even if both areas have some common ground. % loss of XP I thought would be ok would be something like 10% of XP points. This is not same as 10% of lvls tho.

3. Reset all skills to 0. This is pretty harsh but might be closest to RL although it's not one I'd like to see in daimonin
Doesn't matter, you'd die anyway. ;D Shroud's a hacker. After many hours of deep thought I have came to that conclusion.

ThePlaneskeeper

« Reply #9 on: 05, March 2006, 08:48:18 »
How about transfer of villages is purely political and deals with alignment, and how your affected by the social groups your around.

Just as smacky said,

Then it seems to make sense to have something like a 5 lvl deterioration maximum for not using a skill in a long time (1 lvl for a real long time 2 for a really really long time.. and 5 would be for like a year...)

Then, have crafts of a specific town cost more to obtain, or require more experience to level up based on town of origin, race, gender, so on and so forth.

For instance, a forest elf COULD be a miner, but his body isn't adapted to it very well, so it takes him a long time to get good at it, and he can never be the best miner, because his strength isn't that of a dwarf's, nor does he have the senses that a dwarf does (being natually attuned to the mountains, where as a dwarf would be a little uneasy in a forest...)

Just some ideas...

-Headder

Demiurge

« Reply #10 on: 08, April 2006, 18:30:32 »
This was the thread that lead me to post my suggestion of dynamic characters.

Don't let the game become too linear, where you're an x mage of stoneglow, with this affinity etc...a

Citizenship could work as long as it doesn't block too much. You could implement simple functions like quests to prove your worth when applying for citizenship in other towns, if you're not a citizen you get higher prices (not ridiculously though) etc. I think it should have an effect but not completely limit what you can do. I'm not saying that you should be able to be a citizen off every town since that would defeat the purpose, but just don't make it too restrictive.

If the different skill classes get implemented, you could always keep the weapons/magic/etc skills independent of citizenship and have the second class limited to it. The magic guild in the port town will teach any mage that undertakes quests magic skills since a mage is a mage and they recognize each other, but you can't learn navigation etc if you're not a citizen because it's the livelihood of the town.
a.k.a. Thaumaturge

Talwoasc

« Reply #11 on: 12, April 2006, 13:36:40 »
I like the idea of deterioration over time, but having it stop (you never forget how to ride a bike). Also, hte fact that each town could train people in skills (like guilds), but not in the town's livlihood. This would decrease tyhe abuse of the system, buty would also need some experience in the game, as you would need to know which skills would be more advantageous to use in which way, eg more money being miner, but more exp being mercenary.
It would be good to experiemnt with your skills early on in the game, and then decide your favorite. This could mean that new players get a basic schooling in everything before choosing a particular skill as a trade/speciality. (re. Raymond E. Fiest, Magician)
One of my biggest criticism of many other RPGs is that you have to make decisions at the start without the knowledge you need to make a logical decision. With this system, you would gain the knowledge any citizen of the times would have, as if you had grown up there.
You would be able to choose to spe****e at any point, but you would have to put a max level on basic training, eg 20, that you could not go beyond without becoming a guild member. This would also lend a certain self sufficiency to the game, so if there were no carvers on, you could still make yourself a basic torch, but not a carved lantern etc.
This system also lends itself to a more diverse quality system, such as crude,avergae,expert etc as opposed to soft/hardened leather.
:)
Talwoasc is back, and hopes to be able to update his shop soon.

theoris

« Reply #12 on: 27, April 2006, 15:16:12 »
i think this would be coming much later in the production of the game if at all but it does sound good. i would like to be able to make armour and weapons and produce higher quality with higher levels
ScytheSwingers Co-Founder
Slayers Admin
Forum Moderator
VOL
Top 5 Poster (15.10.2007)
Most smited person (13.03.2008)

Tags: