Language: 
To browser these website, it's necessary to store cookies on your computer.
The cookies contain no personal information, they are required for program control.
  the storage of cookies while browsing this website, on Login and Register.

Author Topic:  Seeking a firmation  (Read 2113 times)

smacky

« on: 02, April 2006, 16:30:44 »
I am really thinking of a feature for client3d here, but I think something should be possible in the 2d client too.

I'm thinking that at night you should be able to look at the sky and see the stars. Twinkle twinkle.

But this wouldn't just be for the sake of prettiness. It would open up possibilities for new skills to do with stars (astrology and astronomy), special events according to heavenly occurrrences, an extra factor in character creation, etc.

Now I know for a fact, though I have no idea how to do it, that you can exploit a random number generator with a known and constant seed to create seemingly enormous persistent maps and databases of things like stars and constellations (eg, Elite did this to squeeze 8 galaxies woth of 100s of named planets into 32k machines, with enough space left over for the rest of the game). So resources shouldn't be an issue.

This would also add to the coherence and believability of the game world, which I'm very keen on.

Discuss.

ThePlaneskeeper

« Reply #1 on: 02, April 2006, 17:04:49 »
sounds like a good idea, but it seems to me like there should be some order to it so that constelations could be identified?  Using random numbers means random stars... every night? i don't know, perhaps i'm mis interpreting here.  

I think a star system would be interesting, along with some atrology to go with it for character creation/ harvest/plant growth.  having it modify these thing the way con/qual modifies armor and weapons- minimal, but useful.

I would be interested in making a set of cycles for planets, stars, galaxies, years,  comets, etc. as i AM a number freak like that (i once made my own written conjunctive language... i wish i could figure out what happened to the sheets i was using)   I've also created a whole number system with dates, calenders, holidays, and society structure based on the number 9 (as oppose to 10, and 36- our current society standards...) for something i was writing, so i think it would be fun to do... then maybe these equasions could be put into this star chart, to offer lineups, eclipses, etc.  Just a thought.

smacky

« Reply #2 on: 02, April 2006, 17:31:47 »
sounds like a good idea, but it seems to me like there should be some order to it so that constelations could be identified? Using random numbers means random stars... every night? i don't know, perhaps i'm mis interpreting here.

Yes you are. :) It's to do with the value you chuck into a random number generator to get it going (the seed). If the seed is constant, the 'random' numbers generated will also be constant and (as a result) predictable. You can exploit this to create algorithms to generate huge, always-the-same, on-the-fly 'databases in very small amounts of memory.. Hence you will have the same cosmic map every night, enabling players with appropriate skills to foresee and predict events like planetary alignments, cometary paths, blah blah blah.

ThePlaneskeeper

« Reply #3 on: 02, April 2006, 18:59:33 »
ah, got it.  Yeah, it sounds good, except these stars/planets/comets have to move in order to have any significance, correct?

smacky

« Reply #4 on: 02, April 2006, 19:32:49 »
Well that's why I was thinking it would be more suited to client3d where (I assume, still haven't convinced ogre3d to compile) the necessary graphical fx are possible/'easier'.

But at any rate (discounting the fancier stuff like meteorite showers and comets) all movement would be really really slow, so maybe visible movement wouldn't be an issue.

It'd be nice if we could see the sky in the main view, but we can't, the camera angle is fixed, so :(. What I am thinking is there could be a telescope (say an expensive optional feature of apts rather than a portable item) which you could apply and a window would pop up showing your view of the heavens.

OTOH even with no visual representation at all, a consistent map of the stars would still be useful for atrological-type features.

ThePlaneskeeper

« Reply #5 on: 02, April 2006, 21:24:57 »
:: nods :: what i'm thinking more of for either the iso or 3-d client is an item, like a magical projector that then "allows" you to see the current stars on a map of sorts, which overlays the veiw.  Then form this your character devines information based on the stars.  Kinda like probe, which gives you more info based on level.  Then you could generate this starmap from your random number thing (which, correct starts move very slolwy from our preception, and often times these movements are only noticeable over thousands of years... so that would be the base image of the stars) and then have planets, commets, moons, etc. overlaid on the map, and these line-ups would produce effects at night (and to a lesser effect during the day).  Also the stars we see changes with the time of year, which also would be important, just as seasons change, so would the stars, and thus the effects from astrology...

I would be interested in getting something together, if i had an idea of how to do it, but i like how it would work.

dwarrior

« Reply #6 on: 02, April 2006, 21:49:35 »
Sounds pretty cool. I like the idea of Astrology/Astronomy skills.
Dwarrior may have returned while you weren't looking.

clobber

« Reply #7 on: 02, April 2006, 23:22:52 »
I like the idea of them too, it also helps us people that can only come out at night (otherwise our kin burns) not go out at all!

(And dwarrior did you steal my location thing?)
Posted by Clobber

Collector Of Burnt out torches, 0 and Counting.

,-.  ___ ,-.
 \/ .   .  \ / 
(___O___)
 /  \      /   )
 ( ||       || )
  000     000
Woof, Woof!

Quote from: Longir
I use caution, fear is a distraction

Bobthehobo

« Reply #8 on: 03, April 2006, 00:29:52 »
Do we want astrology to be a character skill or a player skill. I would love being able to look at the stars and instead of just knowing what advantages these particular advantages will give, having to figure them out. 1st moon is in the north-western hemisphere, 2nd in the north-eastern. We'll be having good crops.

smacky

« Reply #9 on: 03, April 2006, 02:00:34 »
Yes that's a good point Bob.

Perhaps the character skill could be that according to skill level you could see more and clearer details -- eg, a level 10 could see more distant stars than a level 1, or at least level 15 would be required to differentiate planets from stars.

It is then up to the player to work out what it all may mean.

jakcool

« Reply #10 on: 03, April 2006, 03:14:08 »
I like the idea very much i dont think it needs any more adjustments it just needs to be put in the game.

Cheers,
Jakcool :lol:  8)  :P
Cheers,
Jakcool

dwarrior

« Reply #11 on: 03, April 2006, 04:46:18 »
Jakcool, it's not just as easy as that. First of all, the idea has to  be thoroughly tested to see that it is fair and works properly. Secondly, it has to be decided when it is put into the game: now, b4 or even another time? Then, finally, it has to be programmed, which is quite a lengthy process. Also, the idea has to be good enough to persuade MT.

smacky

« Reply #12 on: 03, April 2006, 05:00:35 »
Also,what often happens in suggestions threads is people suggest all sorts of wonderful elaborations on the basic idea which, even assuming they're feasible/desirable at all, could only be included slowly, step-by-step as their predecessors mature in the game, problems are found and solved, and developments are made.

My guess is virtually nothing in suggestions will make it into the game until some time after b4 has been released and allowed to settle.

dwarrior

« Reply #13 on: 03, April 2006, 05:04:34 »
True. To be honest, I am beginning to think that the Ideas thread is really more for idle speculation than anything else.

ThePlaneskeeper

« Reply #14 on: 03, April 2006, 10:26:41 »
okay... look here now, come up with how everything would work in good detail, then code it all in.... its not *that* hard... people make it seem like they are invalids or something...

The devs could use help, and sugestions aren't just here for them to use, they are also here for people to take initiative.

Smacky, get me a star map of the northern hempishpere, and one of the souther hemiphere, and i'll overlay plots on a time based scale, for things such as moons, planets and and comets.  I'll then set up some sort of zodiac and pattern of visible stars that goes along with, and perhaps even some stories for them.  At that point, i can make some graphics, and the implimentation would either be me learning code, or MT making some small ammount of code to impliment as a small "interesting" side skill.  As not much of the other implimentation could be done yet because crops/plants do not yet grow, seasons do not yet change, nothing that would be affected is yet in place, but it would be kept in mind for these things when finally implimented. (maybe especially item creation?)

Tags: