Language: 
To browser these website, it's necessary to store cookies on your computer.
The cookies contain no personal information, they are required for program control.
  the storage of cookies while browsing this website, on Login and Register.

Author Topic:  Dynamic characters  (Read 6173 times)

Demiurge

« on: 05, April 2006, 21:02:58 »
I'm sorry if this was already covered.

One of the things that I really like about the character system as it stands now is that you can customize your character in detail. You're not bound by classical RPG classes... you can be a strong magic user but also be great with a sword and a bow (depending on base stats etc).

I saw in one of the threads a mention of different towns having certain aptitudes (water for a ship town, earth for mountain, etc). This along with classes may make characters limited to certain paths and I think that would detract from the ability to have customized dynamic characters. If you're willing to put the time in, you should be able to learn just about anything unless there is a true logical conflict between the two (someone mentioned a warrior joining a monastery and no longer being allowed to use weapons... fair enough). I'm not sure how the class system will be implemented, but I think that it should just give you a set of starting skills (i.e. up until the point of starting daimonin, your character has focused on developing these skills, etc, which works in game logic).

If you start to bring in elemental alignments etc, character development may become too linear. I think it should be more like real life... if I want to get a degree in physics and in economics, I could, it would just take more time. If I want to get a PhD in both, even more time. I could get a PhD in physics, then take up economics, or I could double major all the way through.

Races will probably create natural class aptitude (eg this race is just stronger and will always have an advantage as a warrior whereas this race is more intelligent etc). That should provide a natural direction without forcing it.

Furthermore, for practical implication, you could have guilds for the different character classes which give you missions to get access to skills, spells, prayers, etc. These could be located in different towns. If you come from a different town, perhaps you have to undertake a certain quest to "prove yourself" before you can begin the regular quests like the other town residents.

Again, sorry if these issues have already been addressed.

To the dev team: Thanks for all the work that you've put into this and for keeping it free. It is appreciated.
a.k.a. Thaumaturge

Demiurge

« Reply #1 on: 05, April 2006, 21:15:45 »
Also, you should be able to weild different classes of weapons... there is no logical reason why someone who uses cleave can't pick up a slash weapon... You could implement a system whereby exp is gained for a second weapon class at half the rate of the primary class. If you overtake the primary class, it then becomes the primary class. This way you can have weapon masters, but it would take a long time (back to the theme of being able to do anything if you're willing to commit the time).
a.k.a. Thaumaturge

smacky

« Reply #2 on: 05, April 2006, 22:18:06 »
Quote from: "Demiurge"
One of the things that I really like about the character system as it stands now is that you can customize your character in detail. You're not bound by classical RPG classes...

I agree completely with this. Like I've said before, we should keep Daimonin as a classless society.

I think this was addressed in the thread you mention, but the elemental alignment stuff, IMO, could work without making development linear as long as it doesn't exclude characters of one alignment from changing to another (opposing) alignment -- like fire to water. As you say there is a logical conflict so it should be bloody difficult and a long process, but not impossible. Also, I can't remember if elemental aptitudes was just a pie-in-the-sky suggestion or if it is an MT-endorsed future development.

you should be able to weild different classes of weapons...

The reason you can't is to prevvent all chars being clones of each other. You've got to strike a balance between restrictive linearity and challenge-free identicality. That said, I think something along the lines you mention may be on the cards for VHLPs.

dwarrior

« Reply #3 on: 05, April 2006, 22:32:27 »
I find the idea of weapon types quite interesting. I mean, if someone hands me a knife, I would not yell out "I have no idea how to use it" and throw it on the floor. Commonsense dictates that I would be able to vaguely figure out how to use it. However, players do need to be individuals. It is a hard balance to strike.
Dwarrior may have returned while you weren't looking.

smacky

« Reply #4 on: 05, April 2006, 22:36:11 »
Yes, well that's sacrificing reality for gameplay.

I suppose you might say a player could use a weapon from the other 3 weapon types, but really badly. On this point, it'd be nice if Daimonin knew of fumbles (and criticals).

RaoulJan

« Reply #5 on: 05, April 2006, 22:54:40 »
Oh Yes!

Critical Hits Please!

Perhaps a 1 in 100 chance you take them out with a single blow.

Bobthehobo

« Reply #6 on: 06, April 2006, 01:42:08 »
Does that mean that mobs have a 1 in a 100 chance of taking you out with a single blow? mudhand killed Smacky. Smacky says "I just walked by the thing!" That would certainly make the game interesting.

This would be easier if there were differences in weapon classes. If cleave hit for a lot but hit slowly, whereas pierce hit rapidly for little. When those changes are implemented it might be easier to differentiate between the classes and decide how to use them.

I'm opposed to classes for the same reason Demiurge is. I think it makes the game too linear. Do what you want, don't be limited. In this case you are improving both gameplay and realism.

dwarrior

« Reply #7 on: 06, April 2006, 02:03:05 »
That's a good point. Perhaps for critical hit to work it should ony be if you are within a minimum number of levels to it?
Dwarrior may have returned while you weren't looking.

smacky

« Reply #8 on: 06, April 2006, 02:11:06 »
Well you make a good point in your first paragraph of either post, Bob.

Perhaps Smacky should be made invulnera... no, that's not it...

I'm keen on having both mobs and players fight by the same rules, so an instakill critical would have the unfortunate Smackydown effect you mention. But perhaps do double (or tripl) damage on a critical hit?

ThePlaneskeeper

« Reply #9 on: 06, April 2006, 03:17:57 »
personally, i like the idea of a critical hit killing someone... besides... take a knife to the chest, you gonna live that one out?

of course there are healing spells... so maybe critical hits could do a percentage hit based on lvl attributes, and dex... so... PLVL / MOBLVL * (critical hit percentage{.001[or .1%]} * dex bonus {dex-15})

so it would pan out to be... dex<16= no chance (i chose dex, cause its dex that aims, not str)
then for each point above 15... it does .1% chance, if mob and character are at the same level.. so a 26 dex would be 1.1% (then modified by level)

Then damage could be...

PLVL / MOBLVL * (critical hit life percentage{.2[or 20% of total remaining life]} * str bonus {str-15}) + (normal damage)

thus a charcter with str of 20 could kill a mob of the same level in on hit (more str if the mob was higher lvl), plus do his normal damage

just some figures- remember, anything much more than 1% (when you hit a mob 10 or so times to kill it- for me at least) is kinda silly cause it means you'll critical on more than 1-in-10 mobs... which i can see people doing with a bow, or low lvl mobs... but not with mobs 2-10 lvls above.

Talwoasc

« Reply #10 on: 12, April 2006, 13:50:50 »
IMO, the game should not become completely linear, but perhaps a path through certain skills would be easier to follow, for example, whilst training to be a monk, you follow rules of the order, and not train other skills (perhaps losing exp as suggested in other posts) Once you have completed the course, you can go into another area and train that, but you could not be a monk, forsaking physical violence in order to become in touch with your inner self... and a warrior, hacking away at multiple mobs to save a town from destruction. perhaps you could simultaneously train to be a monk and a doctor, using you inner self to reach out an heal others (prayer=minor healing!)
Its all about compatability :)

PS, critcal hits=good, one hit mob death=bad
Talwoasc is back, and hopes to be able to update his shop soon.

smacky

« Reply #11 on: 12, April 2006, 18:25:28 »
This point came up in one of the elemental attunement threads. Yes, certain choices would make other choices extremely difficult, maybe even impossible -- you couldn't train as a monk and a warrior at the same time.

But having a past as a monk shouldn't stop you from forsaking that path to go hack limbs -- it should be hard to change, but not impossible.

OTOH perhaps a monk guild might legitimatelly not allow an ex-limb hacker to join?

IOW monk to warriror = possible but hard, warrior to monk = impossible.

Talwoasc

« Reply #12 on: 12, April 2006, 20:07:44 »
This would bring up a certain path that you would have to follow, for example common human > monk > druid > mercenary > warrior > mage, with little room for change (but i cant think of a solution :( )

ThePlaneskeeper

« Reply #13 on: 12, April 2006, 22:25:26 »
maybe a skill tree/ class tree might be handy for specializations like this.  

Personally, i think a player shouldn't be limited unless they choose to enter a guild, and that guild has requirements for entering, and gives some sort of bonus to do so (like a mage guild will give you two extra spells you can't get elsewhere) Therefore there is incentive, but its not important to be a part of a guide and otherwise create a "straight and narrow path"

Second thought here is that a person is (for identification purposes when performing tasts, or doing "checks" for certain attributes...) what they appear to be when their levels are imposed over a skill tree.  For instance, if a person has "thgis class lvl 53, that class at lvl 21, and that one at 15; then they are closest to being a...."  Therefore, when displaying what a character is, it is the closest reletive to what you appear to be.

Talwoasc

« Reply #14 on: 13, April 2006, 12:54:49 »
Good idea, especially the skill tree, maybe an ingame diagram to help people to decide what to do next? :)

Tags: