Language: 
To browser these website, it's necessary to store cookies on your computer.
The cookies contain no personal information, they are required for program control.
  the storage of cookies while browsing this website, on Login and Register.

Author Topic:  seasons/ time based objects  (Read 1717 times)

ThePlaneskeeper

« on: 11, April 2006, 01:46:19 »
I think it would be interesting to have time based objects.  What i mean by this is trees that lose their leaves in the fall, grass that browns, then when winter, all the tiles get "snow" and then in the spring a vibrant green tint.

Also to go with this, time based objects, like trees, which grow every year, or plants that flower and die.  This all goes with self modifying maps, as discussed in the last topic i posted in suggestions, but i figure these might be easy tasts to acheive.

Baby steps =)

also, if this is already possible, or easy to impliment (by adding a "time_elapsed" to arch files with alternate images for different states, and "applied_by_{action}") then i would be most willing to do all the teadious stuff (like modifying all the arch files, and graphics to suit).

Anyways, just a thought.

Unislash

« Reply #1 on: 11, April 2006, 05:51:51 »
It'd be awesome to have this stuff, and is a perfectly great thing to add to the B5 list as trees growing and stuff like that goes hand in hand with tradeskills. I sure hope Gecko or MT see this (Cher would have a good opinion too), they could tell us if it is easily possible. I'm sure it can and will be done eventually because it is such a cool idea :)

Oblivion, for instance. It is a bit of a larger scale... but all of their forests are automated by code based on actual growing patterns for each specific plant included in its vast forest regions. Would i like it? YES :)

Cheers,
Unislash

PS: Tides are also a cool thing. They would be really nice around cities around these huge lakes/oceans/undecided (like Illuma, by Lippy).
Forum Admin/Mapmaker

smacky

« Reply #2 on: 11, April 2006, 11:21:17 »
I mentioned something similar a while ago: Ambient, atmospheric, dramatic music, sounds, seasonal gfx.

The main problem is the 2d bitmap graphics. Each 'frame' has to be drawn/modified beforehand, like any other animation. In client3d this sort of thing will be 'easy' -- red/polyveg, tell us how easy it is. :wink:

Talwoasc

« Reply #3 on: 11, April 2006, 14:11:51 »
Going back to self-modifying maps, when combined with seasons, may make it even more interesting, erspecially with woodcutters not being able to cut wood in spring (as not enough trees etc) they may get restless and decide to look somewhere else for wood..., or price of torches could go up :)
Talwoasc is back, and hopes to be able to update his shop soon.

longir

« Reply #4 on: 11, April 2006, 19:13:00 »
These things are *possible*, but code extensive (not even including arches).  And server crashes/reboots could wipe out all the changes (not often, and more on crash than reboot).  Adding in economic effects as well, such as fluctuating prices for torches or whatever will make it even more so.  It will probably come, just don't expect it tomorrow.  It would add an interesting flavor.  Also, should temperature effects be felt too?  It's -30c with 50km winds and snow 1m deep.  You'll have frostbite, hypothermia, reduced speed trudging through the snow, poor to no visibility.  These kind of things also need to be considered as well as the extensive code for them.
DM
Dev Team Member
Site Admin

Mostly retired from playing

Talwoasc

« Reply #5 on: 11, April 2006, 20:44:46 »
Just dont start saying 'Two weeks', oh well :)

ThePlaneskeeper

« Reply #6 on: 11, April 2006, 22:33:01 »
hmm well, i already said i'd foot the graphics part, as i find it pretty easy to modify tiles an such to look like they have snow, or are bare, or whatever...

It actually takes about 10-15 minutes to migrate one tile to the next, and i think arches micht take another 3 or so minutes to modify per graphic... so 20 minutes per tile/object roughly.

That being said it COULD be done (as discussed with Geck0 this morning) currently using a few functions readily available, but it would probably turn out to be resource abusive on the server.  So unless a specific code was generated for this, it will either be a hack-cut-paste job (which i would like to do anyways to demonstrate the possibilities with the current system) or the coding team would have to produce a specific function for it.

Thats about it (as far as i can tell)

Lothien

« Reply #7 on: 11, April 2006, 23:38:20 »
Season changes? Dynamic economics? Weather effects? WOW!
It may take a long time, i know, but i would LOVE to see it working....

well, i'm not planning on dying for the next 40 years... so... i will see it, someday... :)

good work, fellows!
"...unsmiling, he walked away silently. They watched in silence as walked down the valley, until he vanished among the trees. Hate and respect mingled in the air over the hill. Inside his jester soul, he laughed all the way."
(the tales of D

Talwoasc

« Reply #8 on: 12, April 2006, 10:52:07 »
40 years, i thought it was two weeks!

Lothien

« Reply #9 on: 12, April 2006, 18:00:35 »
I don't wanna have big expectations.
Let's say... 2 years. (a realistic good guess for b5 or maybe even v1.0)
"...unsmiling, he walked away silently. They watched in silence as walked down the valley, until he vanished among the trees. Hate and respect mingled in the air over the hill. Inside his jester soul, he laughed all the way."
(the tales of D

Talwoasc

« Reply #10 on: 12, April 2006, 20:08:48 »
Im not planning on dying before v1.0, even if it takes 100 years :)

Lothien

« Reply #11 on: 12, April 2006, 20:51:36 »
So let's start a healthy living plan... just in case it takes some time. :)
(the tales of D

Darkslash

« Reply #12 on: 05, November 2007, 03:02:35 »
How about this for example: Daimonin makes an item called grapes. You plant the grapes in summer. It is Fall and now you have a grape vine garden to make wine.

another example:you have food in fall. It is winter and your food has spoiled.

You know like real life based objects grow, die, and do other unique things. Maybe there is a lake in daimonin. In spring, summer, and fall, the lake is running. In winter, the lake freezes. that would be cool.
 say there is a sword you have. Over the seasons the sword will rust and you will have to get it repaired. If you could get this idea on Daimonin that would be great.
The Monster Slayer looked out his window in silence as he watched the clock in front of him. "It's midnight. Time to go." he said to himself as he jumped out the door, ready for the thrill of the chase.....
-Darkslash the Monster Slayer

Anich

« Reply #13 on: 05, November 2007, 03:13:57 »
Perhaps it could work. Just a little bit of coding, animating, drawing graphix, mapping, and 2 weeks.

Anich
Some of you may remember me in-game as Stcrisis.

Tags: