Language: 
To browser these website, it's necessary to store cookies on your computer.
The cookies contain no personal information, they are required for program control.
  the storage of cookies while browsing this website, on Login and Register.

Author Topic:  3D armor/clothes system for different races  (Read 1865 times)

Marmoth

« on: 04, April 2005, 11:29:18 »
Hi,

I spent a little time thinking about how making a good "clothing system" without having to create too many models.

The main point (of which i speak here) was to keep the "style" of every different race even if you wear the same stuff: a plate armor should look different if it is worn by an elf or a dwarf.

My suggestion is:

Creating basic models for each races and pieces of equipment:

humain, elf, dwarf  X  legs, torso, arms(2), head, cape.

There should be an heavy armor/light armor/clothes model for each. (its a lot i know).

Then. different objects will only be differenciated by texture: a mytril armor will be the same shape as a iron armor, it will just be cyan istead of grey. This way, you can easily "shorten" a same armor if on a dwarf.

Exceptions to this model could be done for helmets (the shapes are very various) and robes.

Belts, bracers, amulets and rings would be added to the texture too.

Thats all.

Question to technicians: Is it a good idea, is it realizable (is it possible to use a single texture for objects of different shapes)? Do you have another (better) way to have a personalization of characters (seing what is worn) w/o having the same shape of objects for each races?

Question to all: Is for you the idea of seeing what you (an the others) wear very important? Is for you the idea of have different shape for the same object according to the race of the "wearer" a good one?

Cheristheus

« Reply #1 on: 04, April 2005, 11:53:22 »
Though I'm not a 3D professional, I could also imagine the following solution:

Each race able to wear armour has the same shape for armour with different dimensions. "thick and short" for a dwarf, "normal" for a human, "short and not so thick" for a hobbit. I think a set of 10 or 15 values is enough to transform the armour shape to fit the race. The dimension parameters are available and get applied to the armour object. That way, each armour could not only have a texture but also have a model of its own. A plate mail, a mithril coat and a linen coat simply ought to look different. But creating different armour models for different races would not be required.

I think several pieces of armour could share the same model, simply use different textures but I also know armour that simply has to look different than others.

Another parameter is the stiffness of the armour model. If a player moves, a linen coat would more change with the movement than a chain mail. And a plate mail would not change at all. Btw., sound for the armour when moving would be nice :) A linen coat would be quite silent, while a plate mail would make an awful noise :D

I don't know if Ogre 3D has the capabilities to perform the required shape transformation and handle stiffness, but I think so because I know that Java3D has them (shape transform) or could relatively easily handle them (stiffness).

I think it would be very nice and interesting to see what others and I wear. Also it would help very much when being in a group. You can instantly tell the mage from the priest without looking at the names. In a group of 6 or so during a fight this information could be life saving: never stand between a mage and his enemy ;) (Afair friendly fire will be there in future versions)

Btw. if body parts get integrated (as in crossfire), please attach attributes to hands and feet wether they can only be used or also be clothed. A hobbit simply does not wear shoes. And a dragon has "hands" (claws) with which it could wield a sword but it could not wear gloves.

Also for rings (okay, off topic): Make it possible to wear more than 2 rings. Give a chance of working, a chance of no effect of all rings, and a chance of negative side effects, up to an explosion and destroying all worn rings.

Cher :)

P.S.: Okay, once again I stop writing not because of the lack of ideas...

Marmoth

« Reply #2 on: 04, April 2005, 18:15:20 »
Ok, nice, if its possible just to redimention it would be even better.

Would it be possible to do so for characters?

For example elf would be the same shape as human, but a little taller and thiner? Then you just add long ears and a different texture and thats all! Same for dwarves: thicker smaller and with a beard. (is 3D so easy :-/ ?)

At least, it would be a very simple way to start.

btw, races should have bonus (combat/move and charisma) with special kind of equipment (ex: horned helm for dwarves) so that they naturally choose a certain style that differenciate them even if its possible to see an elf with a horned helm.

Cheristheus

« Reply #3 on: 04, April 2005, 20:40:00 »
From what I know yes.

The first human model could even take weeks until all inverse kinematics are defined and good looking.
But once it's done, creating modified versions is that easy.

Even in-game transformation is possible with 3D in general (dunno if that's the case with Ogre, I only know Java3D, which is an interface to OpenGL). So upon character creation, it would be possible to specify how tall and thick / thin a character should be.

Mofy

« Reply #4 on: 05, April 2005, 08:52:19 »
Yes ogre can do that, I believe I have seen it in a tech demo. I would advise you all not to use the same model for all races, and also for all armor types, deformed or not. The effect is noticable. You can sub out textures (in armor class) for different qualities in class and if you keep things (armor meshes) simple enough you can use one texture for all iorn / steel / holy.  Creating a few extra meshes is worth it in the long run (providing a rich graphical complexity in the final engine). Then again, we do all look a bit alike now....

Marmoth

« Reply #5 on: 05, April 2005, 11:16:19 »
The idea of having the same basic mesh for all characters, deformed was only for the beginning: it would need only one big work before several races are available. More models could be done later. For armors, i think that we should have 3/4 meshes (cloth/chain/plate/magic) same for arms and so on.

red

« Reply #6 on: 05, April 2005, 17:21:15 »
hey,
nice discussion going on here:D

a couple of things. keep in mind that the size of the model is VERY small.
so you dont realy see wrinkels on someones cheek. neither can you can you see fingers OR longer ears.
Examin the male model ingame now, you dont even see a face in him.

Also, the goal is to make the game playable on as many systems as posible,
so making models with a lot of detail in them, takes a lot more system resources than simple models.

Btw there are already a male and female 3d model. And creating and animating a good model (with IK etc) takes about a week(or 2-3 day's fulltime work) .
so that isnt a problem. Only the more detail in model and animation, takes more time.

Most of the armor things wil be put to the texture, especially in the first stages of the 3d part.
i think creating different armors/helmets/shilds wil be something for on the todo list, but thats not a high one in the list. :)

(with textures you realy can do a lot, i.e. you can make a female model look like a stone gollem :P )

I do agree that you must be able to see if someone is a male/ female, and what race and class.

Greets red
Sub- Admin, 3d Artist.

Tags: