Language: 
To browser these website, it's necessary to store cookies on your computer.
The cookies contain no personal information, they are required for program control.
  the storage of cookies while browsing this website, on Login and Register.

Author Topic:  language filter is needed!  (Read 1129 times)

subaru

« on: 24, June 2006, 21:49:24 »
is there anyway to have a language filter for daimonin? i know it can be done but probably not on daimonin systems... i really have no clue! :d

on a game called rakion if you use a curse word it automatically changes it to "LOVE" in all capitalized letters :P so it would look like you mother LOVE i LOVE hate you! :p silly but effective! the language these days are horrific....
~*~Whats important is not how you start, but how strong you finish~*~

funny quote from ellwoodblues: "and to keep Subaru from wanting to hunt you down with her specially made "Beating Stick +1 of Kneecaping Double Posters.""

grommit

« Reply #1 on: 24, June 2006, 22:15:27 »
I'm all in favour of something like this, but I think the load on the server would be horrendous. For each sentence you type in shout, instead of the server just displaying the string as typed, that string would have to be parsed into words, then each word looked up in a dictionary of banned words. Then just one asterisk in place of a letter would defeat it.

What I'm trying to say is, I guess, that language filters are not trivial to implement. But if it were possible I would vote for it 100%.

toramoth

« Reply #2 on: 25, June 2006, 02:31:27 »
ERRRGGG... I am very picky about this...

TRUE, something needs to be done, but after playing RS for a year (boringest year of my life now that i think about it) i have learned to despise profanity filters (i turn it off in WoW)

BUT, what i think needs to be done is this...

Have a profanity filter option, Heavy Filtering, Middle Filtering, Light filtering, and Off.

Heavy filtering would stop any word that sounds even remotly cuss-y, and, instead of ***, &*$ or replacing it with a word, it would just not show it (i.e. I HATE YOU MOTHER          DAIMONIN LOVEING     )

Middle Filetering would stop a decent ammount of words, and replacing symbols (i.e. $hi), and would replace them with &*$#

Light filtering: would ONLY filter the bad words in thier full text, so if somebody wrote out shi, it would **** it out

None: would show everything
society: the greatest evil of all

Ellwoodblues

« Reply #3 on: 25, June 2006, 04:07:16 »
I say instead of a language filter... there should just be a way to lock out chat from anybody you dont want to listen to.

Shroud

« Reply #4 on: 25, June 2006, 05:26:03 »
one problem with language filters

let's say for example I decided to filter the word "ass"

this sounds nice in theory but if every word with "ass" is excluding then words such as class, bass, assassin (twice :P) etc are also blocked. If you choose to ignore offensive words with other letters then people will just add a token letter in front or behind it. also if I was to type a s s would it work?
Doesn't matter, you'd die anyway. ;D Shroud's a hacker. After many hours of deep thought I have came to that conclusion.

Seralis

« Reply #5 on: 25, June 2006, 19:13:53 »
i agree with toramoth's idea.  I know ths ame needs it for the younger kids playing but some people doent care about it.  Something has to be done though because of some of the imature players of the game

Ellwoodblues

« Reply #6 on: 25, June 2006, 23:04:55 »
Not only would there be problems with accidently censoring words that aren't offensive but might match the words that are used by the filtering criteria, there would be a problem of just which words are offensive to begin with.  Some are no brainers, the basic list of swear words is an example, but what about colorful phrases that don't use any words that are in the filter criteria yet the phrase as a whole is rather offensive?

I'd settle with just being able to control whose /shout 's id be able to read.

grommit

« Reply #7 on: 26, June 2006, 16:22:47 »
Quote from: "Ellwoodblues"
I'd settle with just being able to control whose /shout 's id be able to read.

Or the other route is muting. Since we are a democratic community, how about for times when there is not VOL/GM on, if enough players (4 or so) say /mute within a certain time then that player is muted for 5 minutes in the first instance.

This would be open to possible abuse, but I think if it's by consensus of several people this should not be a problem.

In any case, there should be a minimum level at which consensus /mute became available (10?), by which time the muting players would know the community and have developed a sense of community responsibility.

Oh, and the muted player should receive a message telling him (I don't think the ladies would use such language in the first place, would they?  :o ) that he had been muted by consensus.

EDIT: or else (maybe preferable) each time a player votes to mute, a message appears in the shout box: <player x> has voted to mute <player y>

Then if others agree, they can follow up with their vote.

smacky

« Reply #8 on: 26, June 2006, 16:32:36 »
Clan rivalries? Think of the abuse by one clan muting members of another clan.

grommit

« Reply #9 on: 26, June 2006, 16:49:45 »
Quote from: "smacky"
Clan rivalries? Think of the abuse by one clan muting members of another clan.

Noooo! They wouldn't, would they?  :shock:

EDIT: I forgot to say that misuse of this facility would be punishable by immediate character deletion.  :wink:

Tags: