Language: 
To browser these website, it's necessary to store cookies on your computer.
The cookies contain no personal information, they are required for program control.
  the storage of cookies while browsing this website, on Login and Register.

Author Topic:  need bulsh*t channel now  (Read 8866 times)

Anchakor

« on: 06, August 2006, 15:52:51 »
Plase someone code a bullsh*t channel because now some jerks are discussing farts on shout channel... :roll:
- best system I've ever had pleasure with :)

Tryagain

« Reply #1 on: 06, August 2006, 23:59:21 »
I suggest that the channel be called bullfa*t

theoris

« Reply #2 on: 07, August 2006, 14:25:39 »
or /tell?
ScytheSwingers Co-Founder
Slayers Admin
Forum Moderator
VOL
Top 5 Poster (15.10.2007)
Most smited person (13.03.2008)

Ellwoodblues

« Reply #3 on: 07, August 2006, 21:07:32 »
If the new /ignore works.. this thread is moot.

Shroud

« Reply #4 on: 07, August 2006, 21:37:55 »
Well actually bulsh*t channel as you call it I simply call it a clan :wink:
Doesn't matter, you'd die anyway. ;D Shroud's a hacker. After many hours of deep thought I have came to that conclusion.

Anchakor

« Reply #5 on: 08, August 2006, 00:44:05 »
Hope no one got offended. :wink:
I just dont like flooding only channel with stuff like that.
I suggest there to be three channels:
 :arrow: help channel to ask questions (game related)
 :arrow: trade channel for trade and auction
 :arrow: fun channel for......fun
the channels would look like tabs in firefox and when new mesage appears in nonactive channel it would blink and change colour, so fast blinking channel tab would mean raging doscussion :twisted:

so what do u say? :wink:

Shroud

« Reply #6 on: 08, August 2006, 02:37:52 »
Well problem with firefox tabs (as I understand it) is that to actually view a topic you'd need to click on appropriate tab and if you're following conversations in 2 channels it could get awkward. I think multiple channels is probably going to be implemented at some future time and could be useful, e.g. lvl 1's able to use help channel when atm only lvl2+ can shout/tell etc

Possible alternatives to tabs include having multiple shout windows you could place on your screen or having a pretty similar shout system as we have now but where you have option to subscribe to different channels and then only shouts in channels you subscribe to are shown that way you can ignore conversations that aren't of interest to you.

P.S. I forgot to mention this in me last post but just because there is an ignore function doesn't mean people can offend/abuse people on the basis that people who are upset by topic will ignore it

e.g. if playerX went and said on shout hitler was a god, concentration camps was simply PR etc, playerX is in the wrong and shouldn't expect playerY who's parents or grandparents died in concentration camps to just /ignore him

Admittedly that example is a bit extreme but just pointing it out and that's how I'll be operating
Doesn't matter, you'd die anyway. ;D Shroud's a hacker. After many hours of deep thought I have came to that conclusion.

Anchakor

« Reply #7 on: 08, August 2006, 03:02:51 »
:idea: and what about /ignoreword <word> command?
Like shouts with that word (and words containing the word) wont show up. That won't be so difficult to code i think :wink:

(and for the record im not offended by farts and such, but i dont like flooding the shout with it)

Shroud

« Reply #8 on: 08, August 2006, 03:22:43 »
well /ignoreword command is probably more along lines if language filters. Language filters have been discussed a bit and shout refinements too

btw ignoreword would also have drawback that you'd need to add every offensive word to your ignore list, unless client already had some automatically added to ignorewordlist

grommit

« Reply #9 on: 08, August 2006, 12:46:51 »
Has anyone tried /ignore cherbot?  :wink:

Ellwoodblues

« Reply #10 on: 25, August 2006, 20:55:40 »
Oh.. thats a good idea that /ignore<word>, would save the coders time, and would keep individuals from feeling like the game was trying to treat them like babies.  If you dont want to hear a word no need to complain to a Vol/GM on on the forums, just take a bit of time and  /ignore<word>.

Now the next question is, would there be an empty space in the text box, or would there be ***'s or would you be able to /ignore<word>replace with<replacement word>?  hehe.. if you could replace things, it could be loads of fun... * scratches head* but the possiblity for abuse would be increased significantly.  I could try to get somebody to say some stuff and have some of the words replaced, making it look like somebody was violating the language/abuse rules.  

I still thinkt he /ignore<word> could be neat.  Might even help some parents feel better about letting their kids play or watch as mommy/daddy/big sibbling plays the game.

grommit

« Reply #11 on: 25, August 2006, 21:46:20 »
Hmm, "/ignore <word>" would be a client-side thing, as opposed to a language filter which would need to be server side and impact everybody. So it would only impact someone who turned it on in their client.

Rather than a command, easier to implement would be an editable list (basic one included with the client), and password-protected so that only "responsible adults" (do they exist?) could access it. Then according to the character being played, filter mode could be set either on or off (again set up by the adult).

Adult account would be switchable in game, "junior" accounts not.

My 2c (or 2p as we say here).

longir

« Reply #12 on: 25, August 2006, 22:24:04 »
For the most part, what you say in your clan channels is not monitored and is only regulated by the clan admin staff.  However, I do reserve the right to look through cherbot relayed messages (just like any other in the logs) at any time for abuse.  Abuse of/through Cherbot will result in a blacklisting..denying you access to Cherbot services, and if warranted can lead to char and/or IP ban.  If you want a word filter, code it and submit it.  Chat channels are being worked on for later in B4 or B5.
DM
Dev Team Member
Site Admin

Mostly retired from playing

Tags: