Language: 
To browser these website, it's necessary to store cookies on your computer.
The cookies contain no personal information, they are required for program control.
  the storage of cookies while browsing this website, on Login and Register.

Author Topic:  fired ammo owner or 'quiver of returning ammo'  (Read 3928 times)

Jaggs

« on: 22, February 2005, 01:38:59 »
Ammo Owner:

A problem I c at all mmorpgs is ppl that 'steal'  fired ammo from others

why not set a flag on fired ammo so only who fired it can get it back for 2 minutes or if he died then up it to 5 or 10 minutes?

if some1 wanna help of other player to get its fired ammo, it is an exception I think..
may be it can be allowed to get ammo if ppl are from the same group/team/clan :D

going beyond that.. what about a quiver of returning ammo?

the ammo magically returns to the quiver in 5 seconds after it has been fired :),

a wonderful priceless treasure rarely dropped by a chaotic evil lesser god that attacks us with arrows or bolts or sling stones, ramdom each spawn! :D
write and read  :cry:, write and read  :x, write and read  :(,
write and read  :shock:, write and read :?, write and read :P,
write and read  :), write and read :D, write and read 8)...
Submit

LordGrunt

« Reply #1 on: 22, February 2005, 07:00:48 »
a wonderful priceless treasure rarely dropped...

... and so useless thanks to it :)

The reason of your idea is acceptable. Noone likes stealing.

But solution is not good.
If we could accept 'owner flag' set on arrows, it have to be followed by same flags on all items. This would result in something like wyvern have at this time, a very annoying effect.

I see no good explanation why other player cannot take arrows lying on ground.
Look at it from arrow-taker position. He touches arrow and see message:
"You can't pickup arrow. It doesnt belong to you."
How come? He found it lying on ground, didn't he? So, it belongs to him now.

Other thing are thieves, waiting for you to shoot then running to grab ammo. It's up to DM (or police, sherrif, avatar, whatever 'higher instance') to deal with thieves, not up to game mechanics.

(Somehow i feel lot's of arguing incoming...)

Marmoth

« Reply #2 on: 22, February 2005, 15:44:58 »
How can you explain the "owned" bounties then? :lol:

Unislash

« Reply #3 on: 22, February 2005, 18:08:18 »
Hence "bounties". It is even something that people probably would accept if it were real back then. You kill a dragon, you sure as heck can have the bounty--you earned it.

Unislash
Forum Admin/Mapmaker

kgbspy

« Reply #4 on: 22, February 2005, 22:26:34 »
ahhhh!!!!!!  evil arrow theives!!!!!!  i thought i got away from them when i quit rs.  Runescape solved the problem by making it so that nobody else can see your arrows after you fire them for something like 3 minutes
Game name: kgbspy
i collect magical shields!  always buying as long as i have the money!
In Soviet Russia, game plays YOU
Visit The Daimonin Item Database

Jaggs

« Reply #5 on: 24, February 2005, 19:15:22 »
Kgbspy that suggestion is very interesting for sure! in truth I d like yours come 1st :)

Also concerning LordGrunt post,
I see no good explanation why other player cannot take arrows lying on ground.
Look at it from arrow-taker position. He touches arrow and see message:
"You can't pickup arrow. It doesnt belong to you."
How come? He found it lying on ground, didn't he? So, it belongs to him now.

Well as far as I know, Daimonin is not intended to be realistic, but to be fun and as realistic as possible as far it dont takes out the fun of the gameplay (am I right? :D)!
And what you say is a 'realistic point of view' :D, not that I dislike realism, like 'what an ant is doing with coins? it ate by mistake' or 'what ant is doing with a magical shield? it stuck on its legs' and that they could drop ant fangs that we could sell at shop or make potions etc etc, and lots of other things...
But the point is the game appears to be being developed to be fun :)

I d like to reinforce the 'invisible for a time arrows' just think about it like: only the player who fired the ammo knows exacly where it fell down or got stuck and so is able to find it below debris, dust, grass etc...  :wink:
write and read  :cry:, write and read  :x, write and read  :(,
write and read  :shock:, write and read :?, write and read :P,
write and read  :), write and read :D, write and read 8)...
Submit

LordGrunt

« Reply #6 on: 24, February 2005, 20:20:39 »
Im preety sure Unislash' post added the point to my idea (which might be unlcear in my post :) )

I wasn't really talking about game realism but game mechanics realism. Which is quite different.
It's not up to engine to solve personal problems. Yes, it is personal problem. I for example, had approx 3-4 arrows stolen through whole game. And yes, i was shooting *a lot*, hence 52 Ag lvl :wink:

Actually i think that it would be much more worthy to develop (here) an idea of punishment system, like voting etc. To have a way to punish efficiently people with nasty habits.

Invisible arrows or 'owned' are ideas for curing symptoms, not the disease.

Gecko

« Reply #7 on: 24, February 2005, 21:39:12 »
A more interesting solution would be to have the arrow stealer's alignment going towards chaotic unless the arrows are returned to their owner. Then, if he steals enough arrows he would become a valid PvP target for lawful players and/or bounty hunters.
Daimonin developer, admin and moderator.

kgbspy

« Reply #8 on: 25, February 2005, 15:35:37 »
ooooooo........bounty hunting.....was my favorite way of making money in rs.........i like gecko's idea, might be a good way to solve the arrow/bolt/stone theiving.  nobody wants to be chased around and PKed constantly
Game name: kgbspy
i collect magical shields!  always buying as long as i have the money!
In Soviet Russia, game plays YOU
Visit The Daimonin Item Database

gnub_slayer

« Reply #9 on: 10, May 2005, 23:19:30 »
Generally high level players have been long enough to respect others' rights to their projectile or thrown weapons after thay have been used.  However, once again we are talking about a very small population of people who do not follow a code of ethics in the game.  Those people usually fade away and do not last long in our community.

I've personally lost dozens of +2 bolt and +2 of accuracy bolts simply because they get hidden in the dark recesses of the DT.
The bottom line is simply that those are just items.  the game will give you more if only we all stop whining about it and go out and kill to get loot.  (notice I said WE, as I am guilty of complaining about this issue too)
Gnu - like the open source mascot
B - like the programming language before C

Pronunciation - NU + Bee or Newbie

Wraith_magi

« Reply #10 on: 05, July 2005, 17:57:53 »
I hate those guys. The quiver thing? what if you are throwing axes?
Fire is death and its your time to burn.
Ice is staisis and its your time to freeze.
Lightning is power and my life is shocking.
________
Spectre_magi is my main file.

Lothien

« Reply #11 on: 16, December 2005, 14:39:35 »
It's another question of reputation. Making arrow/bolt/stone stealing a crime that could cause bounty hunters to come looking for you AND can take you to jail and, worst of all, getting a "reputation" of thief that bars you from using city services and, maybe, even entering the city. :)
"...unsmiling, he walked away silently. They watched in silence as walked down the valley, until he vanished among the trees. Hate and respect mingled in the air over the hill. Inside his jester soul, he laughed all the way."
(the tales of D

Ellwoodblues

« Reply #12 on: 01, January 2006, 02:18:38 »
interesting ideas, but I have to agree with LordGrunt about the "curing the symptoms and not the disease." remark.  

It sucks, Ive spent a small fortune on +2 bolts and have lost several.

Heck I even lost a pair of throwing axes of assassinate trolls... was totally pissed, but got over it.

The way things are right now, in my wee opinion, probably the best way.  If you want to use that ultra rare item there needs to be a drawback, since items dont break it makes the game more interesting when you can loose stuff you busted your ass off for.  

Dont know how many times I've sat and pondered whether I want to lure a mob into a corner and bolt it to death (taking damage the entire time) or sit back at a distance and let fly with some +2 bolts ( with a very real chance that somebody will do a snatch and grab, loosing my ammo in a dark recess of a dungeon, or something like that).  Gets the blood pumping as I race past a purple mob in an attempt to grab my ammo seconds before being beated into a bloody pulp.

Lothien

« Reply #13 on: 01, January 2006, 19:19:02 »
I agree with Ellwoodblues' ideas! ;)
"...unsmiling, he walked away silently. They watched in silence as walked down the valley, until he vanished among the trees. Hate and respect mingled in the air over the hill. Inside his jester soul, he laughed all the way."
(the tales of D

Tryagain

« Reply #14 on: 02, January 2006, 10:15:29 »
Hmmm... This is yet another thread where Lothien agrees with Ellwoodblues. I can't wait for the argument when they disagree!!!!!!

Tags: