Language: 
To browser these website, it's necessary to store cookies on your computer.
The cookies contain no personal information, they are required for program control.
  the storage of cookies while browsing this website, on Login and Register.

Author Topic:  training healing skill  (Read 1666 times)

modularfish

« on: 27, August 2005, 20:17:39 »
Being able to train the healing skill would unlock a new character .... the healer!!

Gain exp by succesfully healing x hitpoints of anybody.

Aditional ideas: Lear the spell heal wounds once, then be able to controle it better as you gain levels so you can choose between say a 4 grace healing spell, an 8 grace, an 16 grace healing spell, ...

e.g.

4 grace would heal 15 hp +/- 1d6
8 grace would heal 40 hp  + 3* (+/- 1d6)
16 grace would heal for 100 hp  + 6* (+/- 1d6)
32 ............................  250 hp +/- 12*(+/- 1d6)

And let the dice modificators lessen by gaining levels (you learn to controle it more perfectly)

But above all please make healing worth doing.
warmage priest archer
ph 110, mb 110, md 110, wis 110, agi 110
punch 50+ throw 60+ = 660+ lvls

Garath

« Reply #1 on: 28, August 2005, 00:06:55 »
Healing isn't worth doing?

Any way... frankly I think a healing char is a bit of a time waster. I mean why would you just want to go around and heal in a dungeon stomp game. (meaning you kill mobs for stuff because you can)It just doesn't make since. I know ppl like to go around and heal things but in a game like daimonin I don't think you should make a class or a skill or anything else like that just around healing. I think the way healing works right now is good though getting grace xp from healing might be a good idea. It would be very small amount but still you would get xp.
Sorry about my spelling. I often didn't do to well on spelling tests if I didn't study.
For me it was both.

Hune

« Reply #2 on: 06, September 2005, 07:30:24 »
I think a healer class would add alot of diversity to the game and help balance out the sudden overflow of nastiness that can dominate Daimonin from time to time. Even though I do enjoy mass ridicule as much as the next person...

I feel that two new spells "Healing" and "Group healing" could be provided by a priest NPC at a cost and be restricted to those entering a "Priest" guild (To keep the 'hack n slash' mercenaries focused on what they do best).

If these new spells were subject to success/failure rolls and a greater time-between-castings then this would help balance out the speed at which one could gain experience.

These healers could also be expanded to cast a variety of "Protection" and "Group Protection" spells.

IMO... all spells should be subject to success and failure rolls.

Elephantey

« Reply #3 on: 06, September 2005, 17:11:11 »
No way Hune, mages are already the weakest char type in the game with the most disadvantages, this roll idea for all spells would be a stab in the back.
Captainof 1st class of the 6th regiment of D-unit
Co-leader of Knights Of The Silver Order
Leader of regiment 2 in the Slayers
Looking minor dam armour of any kind (ie helmet or chestplate or boots etc)
http://www.freewebs.com/elephantey/

Antoneja

« Reply #4 on: 06, September 2005, 17:36:50 »
There already is a failure roll on grace. I assume that is what the 'your wisdom is too low' message is anyway. Funny, Igo's DP is lvl 75 and he had that message the other day. :lol:

I would love having the option of being a healer. Right now it's hard unless you have a high level MH rod and that still doesn't cut it if you are in a group combat situation.

Hune

« Reply #5 on: 06, September 2005, 20:28:30 »
@ Ele - Yes you are right... it would be a stab in the back if we subjected all spells to a failure roll as is. What if we introduced 5+ new spells and then added a failure roll? Mercanary Guild and Priest Guild members would obviously have either no access to these spells or be subject to higher failure rates. Right now magic in this game revolves one MB spell and FS and IS items which I think is kind of weak. There are many spells which lay dormant in the Daimonin code which would only take a couple of weeks to revive. (If people allow it into gameplay is another thing altogether)

@Antoneja - I forgot entirely about this. I wonder if a High DP level even effects your failure chances? This doesn't seem fair to me if a player were to devote themselves to Priest guild. I currently support developing a devoted Priest class and will put alot of effort into seeing that Healers would not only be valuable in a group situation but in a standalone situation as well. (If people allow it into gameplay is another thing altogether)

Antoneja

« Reply #6 on: 06, September 2005, 22:11:58 »
I'm not sure, but it seems the higher your level, the less chance if it failing. It seems when I was a newb it always failed me, but I don't have it as much anymore.
Funny fact, when I created my char I added 2 skill points to wisdom because I had been watching Igon play and kept seeing how it always told him it had failed cause his wisdom was too low.

gnub_slayer

« Reply #7 on: 06, September 2005, 23:43:57 »
Devine Prayer is truly one of the most time consuming skills there is.  And with good reason, it is the ability to heal yourself and others that keeps you from being wiped out quickly when in a difficult monster or trap  situation.  That said:  I really wish that Grace regen would occur passively at some lower rate, say maybe 1/4th of the grace regen value.  This would at least make being a healer a more appealing option.

normal grace regen is 0.3 when praying and with the ring of prayer 0.7 so I don't think a diminished passive grace regen rate (at some percentage less than one's current regen rate) would throw the game out of balance terribly.

I know first hand that at level 75 in devine prayer, leveling this skill is really time consuming. It can take about 1 week (28 hours) or more per level.  The pay-off is great for leveling this skill but the investment in time is immense!
A couple new healing skills I would like to see added is "Medium healing" and "Major Healing"  these would take 8 and 16 grace respectively but would increase the base minimum heal to 25 and 50 respectively.  These skills would only be available to people with Devine Prayer over 25 for Medium Healing and with Devine Prayer over 50 for Major healing. (granted I just used rough values for the Levels and base minimums but something like that would be in order.)
Gnu - like the open source mascot
B - like the programming language before C

Pronunciation - NU + Bee or Newbie

michtoen

« Reply #8 on: 07, September 2005, 00:35:50 »
The plan is to have spells in future, which buffs people but need grace over the time. You have to
stop and pray then here and there. Very useful for group playing.
vita est proelium

Garath

« Reply #9 on: 07, September 2005, 02:36:49 »
THAT sounds like a good idea. Not only do ppl get the healer class (which I still don't understand why any one would. No money gained.) and you make daimonin more scocial in terms of the game and not just talking. Every one wins!
Sorry about my spelling. I often didn't do to well on spelling tests if I didn't study.
For me it was both.

Bobthehobo

« Reply #10 on: 07, September 2005, 03:19:39 »
Well when groups come in as Michtoen said, healers will be very useful, and with the exp and loot sharing systems healers will have all the same benefits as fighters and mages.

Antoneja

« Reply #11 on: 07, September 2005, 06:13:11 »
Gareth, there is more than one way to get good loot and I'm not talking about stealing. It has to do with your reputation. Something that happened a couple weeks ago: One uber player found a high level MH rod. He gave it to someone and that person gave their lower MH rod to someone. At that point, that 3rd person gave their old MH rod to Igontin, Igon gave his to me, I gave mine (lvl 24 lol) to someone who didn't have one.

Kyia is a healer in-game and I'm sure if she needed something she wouldn't have too much trouble getting it.

Eh, anyway, it's 6am, I just woke up and I've not had my coffee yet, so I hope you get what I'm saying. if not, just chalk it up to my not quite being here yet. :lol:

Elephantey

« Reply #12 on: 07, September 2005, 17:39:53 »
If that happens again, eles in town :).
Captainof 1st class of the 6th regiment of D-unit
Co-leader of Knights Of The Silver Order
Leader of regiment 2 in the Slayers
Looking minor dam armour of any kind (ie helmet or chestplate or boots etc)
http://www.freewebs.com/elephantey/

Tags: