Language: 
To browser these website, it's necessary to store cookies on your computer.
The cookies contain no personal information, they are required for program control.
  the storage of cookies while browsing this website, on Login and Register.

Author Topic:  Race Types & Classes (class branches too!)  (Read 4244 times)

Asuruga

« on: 03, September 2005, 20:04:22 »
Here is a list of races (and extra stat charts and classes at bottom) we should have in the game :

Dwarf : A shorter and stronger human. They usually smith or mine for materials to sell to the smiths. They are warriors - in other words, spells are NOT their forte.

STR : +3
DEX : 0
CON : +2
INT : -2
WIS : -2
POW - 1
CHA : -1

Gnome : The small, magical creatures known as gnomes have enough magical power to slaughter a red ant in one hit at level ONE. However, their status points in Hit points and strength are lower than hell...

STR : -5
DEX : +1
CON : -3
INT : +3
WIS : +3
POW : +1
CHA : -5

Elf : The skilled and powerful bow men of the woodlands. The second you get a bow or a spear, you can take down men faster than you could say "Cheese it!" (that made NO sense, right? good.) They can be ok mages, and have good stats for anything that needs dexterity.

STR : +1
DEX : +4
CON : +1
INT : 0
WIS : 0
POW : 0
CHA : 0

Halfing : The half man ( a genetic mutation caused by a strange spur, also known as a hobbit in LOTR ) has the perfect stats for being a cleric or farmer. Yeah, strange...but a good cleric always helps.

STR : +2
DEX : 0
CON : +1
INT : +1
WIS : +2
POW : +1
CHA : +3

Giantman : A large man with a ton of strength, but low, um... everything else. They would be great tankers!

STR : +9
DEX : -2
CON : -2
INT : -1
WIS : -1
POW : -2
CHA : -1

Classes

Ok, i think you should be able to choose a basic class that evolves into something else. Your job level should raise through using skills learned (through that job class, of course. Skills = Opposite of Spells). You gain a job level every one hundred EXP : you get a cut off based on the amount of EXP gained. Lvl fourty job class is MAX.

___________Paladin(level 40 JB)
______Knight (level 20 JB)-------------> Mage knight (get level 30 with MA spells, MB)
Warrior (starter)
______Barbarian(level 20 JB) ---------> Dark Knight (get level thirty with two other skills than CLW)
___________Raider(level 40 JB)

Theif ----> Rouge (lvl 20 JB)----> Assassin (lvl 40 JB)

Hmm, to be edited later, i have to go take care of something. Rate this if ya want to, or give some constructive critisim.

Elephantey

« Reply #1 on: 03, September 2005, 20:13:24 »
hmm, poll wouldve helped with assesing, sounds good tho, more races=cool. What im finding really unfair is that their are 2 kinds of woman pic, yet only one of man? Even tho there are many more men playing, sigh :(. Anyhow back to thread, I like the new races here. One slight suggestion with gnomes, i think stats should be more like

STR : -5
DEX : -3
CON : -3
INT : +1
WIS : +3
POW : +6
CHA : -5

Maybe some potions that we can use to upgrade to new folk with higher stats l8er in game? Anyhow, heres elephantling (looks somewhat like a bull with big horns), but is strangely very good at magical skills.

STR : +5
DEX : -5
CON : +3
INT : -5
WIS : +2
POW : +5
CHA : -7

I like im :)
Captainof 1st class of the 6th regiment of D-unit
Co-leader of Knights Of The Silver Order
Leader of regiment 2 in the Slayers
Looking minor dam armour of any kind (ie helmet or chestplate or boots etc)
http://www.freewebs.com/elephantey/

Ratix

« Reply #2 on: 03, September 2005, 20:15:09 »
This has been mentioned... a hundred times or more. What we need is race gfx, not race stats. Make a good dwarf gfx before b4 is implemented and MT may use it.

Bobthehobo

« Reply #3 on: 03, September 2005, 20:37:00 »
Asuruga I like the idea but some of the stat changes are really unbalanced. I think a basis for new race stats should be that all a races stats add up to 84, so everyone has same amount of negatives as positives. If an elf has better strength, dexterity, and constitution why would anyone be a human? Other than that I like the idea.

Asuruga

« Reply #4 on: 03, September 2005, 20:56:01 »
They are supposed to be unbalanced. It is supposed to show diversity between races. And ele, that post made NO sense. What races were you referring to? Ok, here. www.play.net   -> GO CHECK THE RACES CHART. They have the most UNBALANCED status bonuses for races to show that some people are better at things than others. And the GFX? WHO CARES!! They are just small sprites, and we don't need that more than anything else - we need the ability to have better choices for our stats.

We also need more than just 5 points to spend... maybe 10 or 15, but not five.

Ratix

« Reply #5 on: 03, September 2005, 21:33:48 »
They should be balanced, Asuruga. This is a game, in a story elves having an advantage over humans makes sense but not in a game. Who in their right mind would pick human when elves are better in every stat. Bobs definately right, all races default stats should add up to the same exact number. Like right now, elves have better Dex and Int but worse Str than humans. Humans and Elves are balanced as of now, why change it. Obviously MT and them want races to be balanced.

Also I don't really understand your race stat system up there, why are there negative numbers? The current human default stats are all like 12 or 13 and elves are 10-16, why are you down in the -5s and your highest is a +9.

Hune

« Reply #6 on: 03, September 2005, 21:34:41 »
They are really unblanaced and unrealistic for sure IMO.  They need work.

For example:
Giant Man -1 CHA vs. Gnome - 5 CHA
Halfling Has + 10 and no disadvantages. (You are obviously a fan of the Tolkien series and this effects your judgement)
Elves +0 WIS/INT/POW. In every game I have ever played elves have been considered very magical beings.

Let the first step be introducing balanced characters into the game. Second, lets modify the armours so only a dwarf is the right fit for his size armour. Then once there is a strong base, shift everything a little bit here and a little bit there to make it appear like it's unbalanced (when obviously we have taken the time to do exactly the opposite) www.play.net most likely has an entirely different game structure. +10 over there might be equivalent to + 200 over here.

As for classes... This is extremely hard to do unless your trying to please only yourself. It might be easier to simply introduce guilds which are VERY Broad in scope, Wizard, Mercenary, Priest and then allow people to mix and match tradeskills to come up with thier own insane classes.

Cheristheus

« Reply #7 on: 03, September 2005, 21:58:33 »
The problem with races is not inventing them.

We basically could have simply used the races already there in crossfire: human, half-elf, elf, dwarf, halfling, fireborn, quetzalcoatl, fire hatchling, half-orc, wraith, gnome, northman, serpentman, troll.

The real problem with races is having the sprites for it (animated gfx).
Cher :)

Ratix

« Reply #8 on: 03, September 2005, 22:03:21 »
Quote from: "Ratix"
What we need is race gfx, not race stats

Quote from: "Asuruga"
And the GFX? WHO CARES!!

Quote from: "Cheristheus"
The real problem with races is having the sprites for it (animated gfx).

Point proven... Asuruga did you expect the dwarves and giants and halflings to all look like humans?

Cheristheus

« Reply #9 on: 03, September 2005, 22:15:38 »
Yes. If we'd add races without sprites for them, the players would complain about orcs, halflings and giants looking all the same. In my eyes, and I strongly believe that many share this point of view, concerning the addition of races, we should either do it properly or not at all. And honestly, some of what I have read about stat suggestions here was extremely unbalanced. A race should not have any neutral advantage over another race. Look at the suggestion about elves.

Overall, the sum of all stat points of the races should be quite the same. The only stat that might lead to acceptable different sums is cha. If we want realistic stats, they might be unbalanced regarding the stats. For instance, it is clear that only considering the stats, elves would be clearly more advanced than halflings. So to balance things, halflings should start with a natural resistance against magic and curses, which would not only balance things out but make the races more realistic. Also, if we create races the way they really are, we should restrict access to certain races like elves, because there's only little elves.

The point with the gfx was already given by Ratix and me.

The point I want to make now is that furthermore, creating races needs much more work than it might think in the first place (and this is, where threads like this come in for public discussion and idea collection). I wish this thread about race ideas to continue, and I would very much like to see suggestions that also take some ideas for restricting access to certain classes and create classes which are more individual than just regarding their stat differences.

Elephantey

« Reply #10 on: 03, September 2005, 22:19:05 »
@ Ratix Well until we get to beteer gfz being done, we could do that Ratix, cos I really like havin lotsa races. Also, I agree with having them add to a set number

@ Hune I beleive that a set number like 12 was used, and then +5= starting on 17 or -2 means starting on 10.
Captainof 1st class of the 6th regiment of D-unit
Co-leader of Knights Of The Silver Order
Leader of regiment 2 in the Slayers
Looking minor dam armour of any kind (ie helmet or chestplate or boots etc)
http://www.freewebs.com/elephantey/

Unislash

« Reply #11 on: 04, September 2005, 03:59:50 »
Hey, uhm, you guys are forgetting my favorites:

Pixies
Faye Folk
Nagas

And i also love elves... a lot.... so.... may i suggest "wood elves" as an elf race that is extremely talented at bows and stealth, but not *as* much in magic, and terrible at melee (i love playing them too... hit and run!!)

Yes, we *MUST* do it right if we were to add races into the game. Good graphics are a must in my opinion. Then of course, to have a balanced but different kind of char for each of the races is the thing that keeps people interested. Sorry about repeating a lot, but i just want to enforce it.

Cheers,
Unislash
Forum Admin/Mapmaker

kyleball2

« Reply #12 on: 04, September 2005, 10:52:17 »
Gnome? a magical creature, i would prefer sorcerer, mage, wizard, sorry but the only thing that i dont like, aside what has been mentioned, is the name of the gnome lol i would like to see a sorcerer, mage or wizard type? please? :P

Cheristheus

« Reply #13 on: 04, September 2005, 14:03:46 »
@kyle: Gnome is a race while sorcerer is a class.

Bobthehobo

« Reply #14 on: 04, September 2005, 16:51:30 »
Right now planned for B4 both humans and half-elves spawn in a small village in the Human plane. When more races like dwarves and full elves come in it won't make sense for them to spawn in the same place. So I propose there be a home plane for each race where they start and train to about level 10 or 20 then move on to the Demon plane where all the races co-exist. Also about classes I think it would be cool to choose a class by joining that classes guild. So if you want to be a sorceror you join the sorceror's guild where you get all your sorceror related quests ans skills.

Tags: