Language: 
To browser these website, it's necessary to store cookies on your computer.
The cookies contain no personal information, they are required for program control.
  the storage of cookies while browsing this website, on Login and Register.

Author Topic:  Punishment  (Read 1701 times)

Tryagain

« on: 10, September 2005, 23:42:34 »
Hi all,

Here is a rough sketch of an idea for how to deal with any player who is 'not playing to the rules': KS, thievery, rudeness, etc.

Imagine a set of stocks in town which such a player could be placed into, for 10 or 15 minutes for example.  There would be a number of small monsters which the player could avoid by constantly 'moving the feet' (i.e. clicking the mouse).  If a player does not move enough, the damage would kill the player after a time.  If a player does not move at all, e.g. killed 3 times, some levels of experience would be lost.

This is just a 'brainstorming' idea.  I think that something like this would act as a deterrent.  I also think that genuine players who were put into the stocks 'for a laugh' (e.g. falsely accused by their friends) would not mind going through such a thing.

What would be really good would be for someone to improve on the idea and come up with something which makes Daimonin even more famous, for its way of dealing with difficult players.

Best reagrds,
Tryagain

smacky

« Reply #1 on: 11, September 2005, 01:37:28 »
Quote from: "Tryagain"
I also think that genuine players who were put into the stocks 'for a laugh' (e.g. falsely accused by their friends) would not mind going through such a thing.

Absolutely right. I can't imagine a more amusing way of spending quarter of an hour.

Elephantey

« Reply #2 on: 11, September 2005, 15:09:25 »
I like the idea. But I like (was it Unis, cant remember) the idea of having signs above thieves for few mins. Then they cant attack anyone, but u can attack them and they lose exp if they die (no lvl safety barrier) :)
Captainof 1st class of the 6th regiment of D-unit
Co-leader of Knights Of The Silver Order
Leader of regiment 2 in the Slayers
Looking minor dam armour of any kind (ie helmet or chestplate or boots etc)
http://www.freewebs.com/elephantey/

Cheristheus

« Reply #3 on: 11, September 2005, 15:12:54 »
Okay, now you just have to solve the problem of how to distinguish real theft from false accuses... :(
Cher :)

Tryagain

« Reply #4 on: 11, September 2005, 15:57:17 »
Okay, now you just have to solve the problem of how to distinguish real theft from false accuses...

Well, the idea is to find a punishment that is not so severe that a falsely accused player would be put off playing the game; but is severe enough that spoil-sports would have to decide whether to change their ways or keep enduring the punishment.

Deciding whether a theft is real or not could probably be left to players, at least until Cherbot is programmed to be able to tell the difference.

There would have to be certain rules, for example a minimum number of players accusing someone - if a player is naturally a thief, it is almost certain that they will steal from several players. Probably at least half of the accusers should be above the level of the accused, and maybe only half should come from the same clan.  Another point is that the accusers should be different (or a proportion of them anyway) for each punishment.

Also the number of times a player should be punished would need regulating.  If someone is so unpopular that they keep been accused, even falsely, it is probably better that they aren't allow to participate in the game anyway.

I think that with a bit of experiment a reasonably fair system could be put in place.  If it fails, most of the graphics and programming work could almost certainly be re-used for a quest, for example 'rescue the good wizard from the stocks'!!!

Thank you all for listening to the idea - its only a germ but I hope its giving food for thought.

Very best regards,
Tryagain

Cheristheus

« Reply #5 on: 11, September 2005, 16:00:44 »
Neither Cherbot nor the server could ever tell the difference, they are both much too stupid.

Tryagain

« Reply #6 on: 11, September 2005, 16:09:57 »
If you would like me to think of some logic whereby Cherbot could detect suspicious acquisitions please let me know.

Best regards,
Tryagain

Elephantey

« Reply #7 on: 11, September 2005, 17:13:47 »
Potential for abuse with clan wars. For example, 3 clans join together in alliance, then they accuse sombody on other side. That person can then be attacked at will :(
Captainof 1st class of the 6th regiment of D-unit
Co-leader of Knights Of The Silver Order
Leader of regiment 2 in the Slayers
Looking minor dam armour of any kind (ie helmet or chestplate or boots etc)
http://www.freewebs.com/elephantey/

Lippy

« Reply #8 on: 11, September 2005, 21:55:28 »
I don't think there should be any official action against thieves and KSers. While they are frowned upon by the majority of the community, introducing 'rules' or even implementing features specificly against thieves will generate problems, like with not being able to distinguish between thieves and the innocent. I don't believe there can be a logic on this. It is not a case of someone being 100% thief or not, there is a lot of uncertainty in some occasions, and some people might try to brand someone a thief just because they feel like it. Most of the time there is no evidence, and some people act based on what they think has happened instead of what really happened.

For KSing, that will be solved in beta 4 as the shared exp system is implemented with it, so there won't be any KSers after that.

For thieves, well most of that will again be solved by implementing a trade system, so that no-one will need to drop items to trade. The only part of thievery that will remain would be stealing ammo from bows or throwing items. That I think needs some thinking over so that your ammo is not just anybody's. Maybe have the ammo only pickable by the owner for a set period of time, then open them to anyone to pick up.

As for rudeness, there can be uncertainty in this too, and it takes a human being, not a computer to decide whether that player has gone too far, and what action to take. Hopefully this is also solved in beta 4 too when there can be GMs and VOLs to help moderate the server.

And once PvP is implemented, players will be able to do as they wish to other players they dislike. Of course I believe the PvP system needs some kind of restriction to help stop harassment, and there are many ways in which that can be done. From only having certain maps to be PvP to having a PK system where if someone has PKed so much, that player gets some kind of discouragement from PKing for a length of time. Of course, the final decision is always up to MT to decide how PvP will be implemented.
Current Project: Dynamic Widget Client (M1)

Cheristheus

« Reply #9 on: 11, September 2005, 22:10:04 »
Quote from: "Tryagain"
If you would like me to think of some logic whereby Cherbot could detect suspicious acquisitions please let me know.

Go ahead and think :)

Tryagain

« Reply #10 on: 11, September 2005, 22:46:05 »
Go ahead and think

I will start a new Suggestions thread 'More things to do in Jail' and post some ideas about turning Cherbot into a proper policeman there.

Best regards,
Tryagain

smacky

« Reply #11 on: 11, September 2005, 23:05:28 »
Lippy's right. Listen to Lippy. :)

Otherwise we're gonna need a guild of lawyers. And no-one wants that...

BTW, though, doesn't ammo already work like that, like bounties?

Unislash

« Reply #12 on: 12, September 2005, 00:00:33 »
Ammo does not work like bounties. You fire, they can be picked up by anyone.

I'm thinking screenshots of mob training, 2 of KSing (one of mob at low health, the other at guy killing them as you make a good almost-killed hit), and one of words the KSer, theft, or train-er says after you say stop (they generally reply quite dumbly and say "no" or "laughs"). This should be enough for most people, and this stuff would be shown to the DM, GM, VOL, or whoever regulates punishment.
Forum Admin/Mapmaker

Ratix

« Reply #13 on: 12, September 2005, 02:49:25 »
Ah, reminds me of another I had awhile back. You could go to an Npc to get your ammo engraved. When you shoot it, the only person who can pick it back up is you, it says "bolt +1 (bounty of Ratix)" unless it gets left laying for over 10 minutes, then it becomes pick-upable by anyone like normal... Did somebody already say that?

kyleball2

« Reply #14 on: 12, September 2005, 11:12:23 »
With the PVP thing lippy said...pvp, i doubt very much, will be put everywhere, it will be put in designated areas, so hard to abuse it, if u do kill someone in the designated area that is what is supposed to happen, so i dont think it can be abused unless u can push people ;) so this means that people who dont want to participate in pvp doesnt have to, and whoever does can :)

Tags: