Language: 
To browser these website, it's necessary to store cookies on your computer.
The cookies contain no personal information, they are required for program control.
  the storage of cookies while browsing this website, on Login and Register.

Author Topic:  Mages - disadvantages etc  (Read 2833 times)

kyleball2

« on: 12, September 2005, 11:34:30 »
I bring up this question because it is really frustrating. A lot has been suggested to improve the gameplay of mages, but i havn't heard of anything coming in B4 that will help, only hinder being a mage. I don't know whether any of the ideas on mages have been used, or anything changed to help balance it out, so i would like to know if anything has been done for b4?
elephantey has written a page on the wiki, and i added a bit to it

Mages

Although i don't agree fully with some of his ideas, but i think a lot does need to be changed. People talk about balance, and bring balance to a lot of things, but apart from for mages. Rods are being nurfed, thats a balance to the game, but no balance for mages that i have heard.

With the coming of b4 there will be 2 more disadvantages to being a mage, and its ridiculous. If you dont agree, go get mb as primary and you will see. Mb is much much easier to train with ph as main, as this eliminates a few of the disadvantages, so they cant be compared.

Example from the disadvantages page for mages (click on link above for more):
When b4 comes out exp will be given to the skills used, eg using mb and mb rod would give exp to mb spell and magic devices. This will cause probelms, as mages, to get the full experience in magic bullet from a mob, will have to use all their mana to kill it, where as a warrior could easily kill it without losing stamina, adrenalin or energy, there are no advantages at all to being a primary mage. only disadvantages.

Another problem will be when pvp is out, it will be much harder for mages to fight in pvp with warriors, but pvp with mage vs mage would be fair. but with it against warriors, they can have u targeted, run past u and hit u, mages have to line up and aim, still with uncertainty of hitting, and even worse if they are wearing a reflect spells ammy. So i dont think i will be participating in pvp unless it is mage against mage :(

I may have missed off something that i have said before that is a disadvantage on that wiki page, bt you get the idea!

So is anything going to be changed? has anything been changed to help in b4? If nothing is getting done, i would like to know, and same for if something will be done about these problems. Sorry to kind of rant, but these issues have been here for a while, and im not sure whats going on about them!

kyleball2

« Reply #1 on: 12, September 2005, 17:33:29 »
i added more to 1 of the pages, so go read them lol if ne1 else has ne other disadvantages to being a mage, add it to the wiki, or post it here and i will if u dont have access :)

Elephantey

« Reply #2 on: 12, September 2005, 19:35:00 »
Just a thought Kyle, but how bout heat-seeking MB, this means u dont have to line up and fire. Just lock onto the person and fire, u cant miss (unless there are trees and the like).
Captainof 1st class of the 6th regiment of D-unit
Co-leader of Knights Of The Silver Order
Leader of regiment 2 in the Slayers
Looking minor dam armour of any kind (ie helmet or chestplate or boots etc)
http://www.freewebs.com/elephantey/

Hune

« Reply #3 on: 12, September 2005, 19:45:03 »
@ kyeball.

I am still slow going since I am new to C programming but this weekend I have written code that no longer allows a warrior to identify the magical properties of an item without the use of a scroll. I will soon begin work on reviving old code which allows a mage to write scrolls and then begin working on a way for a mage to recharge wands.

If you are concerned about nobdy paying this attention then rest assured that all of my efforts are focused on creating player diversity through tradeskills and classes so that group play will be more relied upon when it is possible.

Elephantey

« Reply #4 on: 12, September 2005, 19:48:00 »
Ive also made a few more additions now :), mostly positive stuff, with some solutions to the probs u mentioned.

T_H_E_O_N_E

« Reply #5 on: 12, September 2005, 19:59:11 »
About heat-seeking MB's, is it only normal magic and not devices that can be used like that.
Because magic devices is a wepon like bows and sling, and it would be strange that an arrow change directions.
daimonninjas.mondoglommo.htm

Elephantey

« Reply #6 on: 12, September 2005, 20:02:49 »
Hey, magics magical, it can do anything, call an earthquake, send a lightning bolt, summon a firey beast, have a heat seeking bullet. O and yep, im thinkin only MB, not rods, cos warriors can use rods, and that dont seem right that they should have such an advanced skill.

Actually on second thoughts, ive had another idea, this skill of heatseeking MB could be a quest in the mage guild at say lvl 50? that mages can get.

Hune

« Reply #7 on: 13, September 2005, 12:15:59 »

Rods are being nurfed

Really? good.

kyleball2

« Reply #8 on: 13, September 2005, 12:43:16 »
yay, something is finally getting done =) thanks hune! anyone know what is getting added to b4 that may help mages?

Elephantey

« Reply #9 on: 13, September 2005, 17:14:11 »
Well on on of the servers, was it Unis? They had Ice storm and fire storm as spells for mages to use.

kyleball2

« Reply #10 on: 13, September 2005, 17:21:57 »
on unis server u can use any spell, and learn it...not just fs and is, but id etc

Unislash

« Reply #11 on: 14, September 2005, 01:54:48 »
Hm, okay guys.

Hune kinda touched on a bit of it. The IDENTIFY problem will be fixed in B4 (the problem is the item is a higher level then the level of identify the smith casts) by having players learn that spell for a large amount of money, and have them be the only ones who can cast it (well, i'm not sure if this is the only way it will work. I mean, a skill of identify also fits but it would obviously have limitations to say armor and weapons. No talk about this yet). There is a lot of power to mages.

Beta 4 is kinda setting everything up. We don't have many spells because, well, you saw. We have a problem with storms. If we had like 20 storms... do you know how long it would take to fix them all? Yea, that is why. We will have more spells eventually, but atm we have to go through a balancing phase with the nurfed rods, new storm system, and new exp system. Also, i'm thinking that non battle spells will come, such as food, repair, elemental blades, and teleport. I've got images for new spells (2 i think), i just need someone to make the spells :P.

I havn't read that page yet, but i will soon and report again on what is coming that will soften the effects of most of the things against mages.

Cheers,
Unislash
Forum Admin/Mapmaker

Bobthehobo

« Reply #12 on: 14, September 2005, 02:11:18 »
OK guys first off I'm just gooing to state the obvious. Right now there are no such things as mages. When you create a character you are not given a choice of class. You cannot join a guild which trains you to be a mage. The only thing that differs people who call themselves mages and the rest of the players is their main skill. Mages have disadvanteges because they don't exist. It's like a Unicorn going to a restaurant to find out they don't have Unicorn accessible restrooms. People who choose magic as their main skill do so by choice and should suffer the consequences of their actions. Sure you can ask for MT to create mages and he may or may not but he is already aware of the issue. Writing 10 pages in the Wiki about how you are being mistreated just takes up space and wastes people's time in reading it. It was probably the worst 10 minutes I ever spent.

Hune

« Reply #13 on: 14, September 2005, 07:29:31 »
Are you sure it wasn't the ten agonizing minutes you spent deciding which avatar suits you best?

And YES! There are such thing as mages. I encounter them on a near daily basis. They use a thing called magic. These unicorn restrooms you mention however are very puzzling to me. I thought they shit in the woods.

Tryagain

« Reply #14 on: 14, September 2005, 08:03:57 »
Hi all,

This topic seems to be heading in the direction of creating a spe****t mage class within Daimonin.

Well, Daimonin may not be unique in this respect, but it is certainly unusual, in that currently you do not have to select a class for your character.  You can decide what to spe****e in simply by training in that skill, dual-classing and multi-classing as you decide, and even switching from majoring in one class to another as you want without the game placing any restrictions on you - it is simply the amount of time you wish to devote to developing your character.  This is a pleasant change.

I think that the underlying frustration is probably that it takes the longest amount of game time to major in magic, when the rewards for doing so, at least at the moment, may not be proportional to that time spent.  Pure fighters, on the other hand, can level up in maybe a quarter that time.  Training to be a healer takes much longer than a fighter but not as long as a mage.

My suggestion would be to increase the rewards for the time and effort spent training in magic, rather than start introducing a class-style system where you are restricted to what you can do.

We all want Diamonin top of the lists of MMORG games, after all!!

Best regards,
Tryagain

Tags: