Language: 
To browser these website, it's necessary to store cookies on your computer.
The cookies contain no personal information, they are required for program control.
  the storage of cookies while browsing this website, on Login and Register.

Author Topic:  Criminal status, bank loans, and interest  (Read 3847 times)

smacky

« on: 15, September 2005, 14:13:01 »
Criminal ratings

Very simple system inspired by/ripped from Elite.

Three criminal ratings:

* Clean -- You've committed no crimes. Good player. Everyone starts this way, pure as a mountain breeze.
    * Offender -- Oh no! You broke a (minor) law. Now you must pay. Pay a fine, do community service (ie, kill N mobs but you get no exp), or wait out a short stint in jail. Or if you avoid capture long enough, you'll go back to clean.
    * Fugitive -- Horrors! You've done something heinous (or committed too many small crimes). Either pay a big fine or spend a long time in jail or we'll hunt you to the ends of the earth.

I am thinking of crimes defined in the game world -- such as not repaying a loan on time (see below) or murder (when PvP comes out) -- not KSing, stealing from trades, etc (can we not start that discussion again?).

Enforcement is obviously by the guards in and around Stoneglow. They take no action against offenders -- players turn themselves in voluntarily. But they will attack fugitives on site (when they kill you you are caught and given your choice of how to pay your dues as well as suffering the usual stat/exp loss of death). Whatever your status, once you have taken your punishment you become clean again.

If you kill guards your rap sheet grows longer and your 'bounty' increases.

This suggests bounty hunters. Yep, in PvP if you kill a fugitive this is not murder, you get a reward! And the fugitive is still a fugitive. Let this be a lesson kids: crime doesn't pay.

If you're a bigtime fugitive (say a dozen murders under your belt) the guards will come looking for you (ie, they appear in a dungeon and attack you and only you).

Criminal status affects your dealings with NPCs:

* Shop -- While you're an offender or fugitive the shop won't have anything to do with you.
    * Church -- While you're a fugitive the priest won't have anything to do with you.
    * Bank -- While you're an offender you can't get a loan (see below). While you're a fugitive you're account is frozen too so no interest (see below), deposits, or withdrawals.

Anyway, with that explained...

How about making the bank more banklike by having a simple system to borrow money and get interest on your savings?

Loans

When clean, you can take out a loan of up to 5x your balance. This must be repaid with interest by a certain time or you becomes an offender (or possibly a fugitive if you've already offended). The interest is calculated according to your Cha at the time you take out the loan.

Interest

If not a fugitive, over time you get interest on the cash you have in the bank. This shouldn't really be affected by Cha but because it's a game maybe it should be.

Note on time -- Time is real time. This is so players in jail can always log out rather than have to sit there online doing nothing but pressing a button every few minutes to prevent being kicked. Maybe, though, time could take three or four times as long while the player's offline to encourage people to actually play.

kyleball2

« Reply #1 on: 15, September 2005, 14:25:03 »
i think its an interesting idea, and i proposed a similar idea...
i like the idea, apart from pvp kills are counted as murder, and if these are punishable deaths, or minor criminal acts then i wont participate in pvp :P i dont think pvp killings should be counted as murder, and i dont think it should affect the criminal record
sorry to put my idea onto urs, but my ideas was to have pvp in one area, if u killed in this area u are fine, and wont have a small criminal implement!
but i think pking should be allowed in all areas, but if it is down in an out of bound area, then 1 time u will do it, u will turn yellow, nd the second time u do it u turn red, once u are red, other players/npcs will kill u, in any area without retribution. then u will go back to normal colour!
so grey - u have commited no crime, and this colour can underline ur name or something, and if u get killed at all u wont lose any exp
yellow - 1 kill out of area of pvp, u r underlined with yellow + still dont lose exp, but lose a stat if u die by another person, in pvp or any area..
red - u will loose same amount of exp by getting killed by another char/npc as  by getting killed by a mob!
once u die/time period, say 2 days, the colour is reset back to grey!

it is in another game i played, and it works well! it is hard to be abused as well...i think it would be fun to add it! and would be used very limited!

but like i said, i dont think pvp should have any retribution for either idea, but this is all just my opinion anyways!

Elephantey

« Reply #2 on: 15, September 2005, 18:14:09 »
Cna we get some of their treasure for killin em? Otherwise y would anyone killl anyone in the first place?
Captainof 1st class of the 6th regiment of D-unit
Co-leader of Knights Of The Silver Order
Leader of regiment 2 in the Slayers
Looking minor dam armour of any kind (ie helmet or chestplate or boots etc)
http://www.freewebs.com/elephantey/

smacky

« Reply #3 on: 15, September 2005, 18:18:45 »
Quote from: "kyleball2"
sorry to put my idea onto urs,

'Sok. Kinda the point of a public forum. :)

Anyway, yeah PKing in the arena is fine and dandy. Presumably both parties chose to be there. Someone has to lose...

Out of the arena it's a criminal act. You do it, your criminal status increases, the bounty on your head increases, and your punishment if caught by the law increases. With the exception that if you PK a fugitive you get the bounty and your criminal status is unaffected (you also get the bounty if you PK a fugitive in the arena)..

I like the colour thing, though I'd just have your entire name above your head change colour -- green = clean, yellow = offender, red = fugitive. I don't think you should lose fugitive status over time. If you've been so naughty, make amends, don't just wait it out.

If you choose not to indulge in PKing 'cos it's punishable, well that's a choice. That's part of the point.

Kime

« Reply #4 on: 15, September 2005, 20:52:50 »
just a thought on your loan idea. what is to stop a person from making many new characters and giving all the money they have made on their main character to them one at a time to get 5x loans, each time the loan rising at an exponential rate due to gold of the pervious loans?  then they could just scrap the characters they made to get the loans, never having to pay the bill. money would cease to have value in the game.
you have to think like a criminal to beat the criminals. :D

Bobthehobo

« Reply #5 on: 15, September 2005, 22:04:25 »
My idea for PK is that it is based on colors like Kyle's but instead of just several colors you could have an actual rainbow. The system goes from white to green to yellow orange red and if you go over red your grey. Depending on your race you begin with different color reputations. Ogres might begin as yellow, humans as green. elves as white. Minor crimes move you back a certain amount like if you have a loan out you begin losing reputation until that loan is repayed. And if you kill someone where there are no witnesses you only go down about half. But if you kill someone where there are NPCs as witnesses you lose half your reputation and you begin blinking grey. Blinking grey means you are only grey for 10 minutes before you return to normal. Being grey means that you cannot enter most towns and guards will maul you on sight plus other players can kill you without penalties. It takes 1 hour to online to make up for one reputation point loss or doing quests might accelerate that (doing bad quests could make it worse). If you are grey orc towns might let you live among them whereas they would attack any divine people.

So each player has a reputation rainbow which slowly improves over time and can be improved by doing good quests. But goes down every time you commit a crime. Also shop owners, priests, and bankers charge more or more interest the lower your reputation. There could also be some towns that only let divine (white) people in. And towns that are made for criminals.

smacky

« Reply #6 on: 16, September 2005, 00:17:55 »
@Kime, good point. Damn good point. Damn. Damn!

@Bob, presumably there'd be no need for loans then as players could simply dig up the pot of gold at the end of their personal reputation rainbow. Or is that just silly now?

Elephantey

« Reply #7 on: 16, September 2005, 18:58:48 »
@Bob They could do anythin and just go into a dungeon to lvl for an hour or 2. Maybe it should be more like 6 hours worth of online to knock it back a stat.

@ Smacky LOL man that was funny :lol:
Captainof 1st class of the 6th regiment of D-unit
Co-leader of Knights Of The Silver Order
Leader of regiment 2 in the Slayers
Looking minor dam armour of any kind (ie helmet or chestplate or boots etc)
http://www.freewebs.com/elephantey/

Lothien

« Reply #8 on: 16, December 2005, 14:30:34 »
A few quick suggestions:

Loans: to make for kime's damn good point, maybe loans should only be available to people that complete certain quests or characters that have some time in the game. Treat this as a "loans only for long time accountants". Maybe loans could only be given to people who have and "indication" of town authorities. Another idea, and a damn good but more complex one is that the bank could only loan the money that it has... and that's the people's accounts money. When the debt is paid (with the normal bank plusses, like real world), the "money" of the bank increases. So if many people get loans and don't pay... the bank could be broken AND your money there would be unretrievable until the debts get paid. This could be a nice "quest", retrieving debtors and making them pay... to save YOUR money. This option works better with PvP reality. :)

Interest: could be based in a percentage of the banks earning with loans.

PvP: now comes my interesting idea: Citizenship Status. Everyone starts as a citizen (and, in the case of a reputation system, with a neutral reputation). As you play, complete quests and gain "reputation", it will affect you in many interesting ways. One of them is the NATURE of the crime of killing you. If you are a citizen, killing you is nonetheless a crime and if the perpetrator doesn't turn itself to the jail soon, he becomes a fugitive and loses citizenship status. A fugitive could be killed without any penalty. Besides, killing inside the town would always be a crime, and the penalty is jailing, death AND confiscation of goods and money. Besides there could be an "Call the Guards" option like in UO for citizens. Quests could arise if criminal hunts and bouties could be issued for the "head" of a long time perpetrator. If the rules for dying are made harsher, being killed by your crimes would be EVEN harsher and undesirable. Another idea is making PKing only possible in certain deep wilderness areas. If you go there, be advised. These ideas work well with the reputation system i've suggested.

what do you think? :)
"...unsmiling, he walked away silently. They watched in silence as walked down the valley, until he vanished among the trees. Hate and respect mingled in the air over the hill. Inside his jester soul, he laughed all the way."
(the tales of D

Naomeire

« Reply #9 on: 17, December 2005, 00:00:49 »
Interesting.  Just a note though, maybe the church should not turn away a fugitive.  Could they not offer them sanctuary?

Just a thought.

While your inside the church you are safe, leave and you will be captured by the guards.  Maybe the priest will do nothing more than feed you while you are there, no other services.
Naomeire
Battle Mage, Artist, Mapwiz

Naomeire

« Reply #10 on: 17, December 2005, 00:01:29 »
Interesting.  Just a note though, maybe the church should not turn away a fugitive.  Could they not offer them santuary?

Just a thought.

[Edit] sorry about the double post, stupid dial up.....moderator please delete!
Naomeire
Battle Mage, Artist, Mapwiz

Ratix

« Reply #11 on: 17, December 2005, 00:35:37 »
Ok all I read was Smackys post, forgive me if I cover something already said.

This is a game, and yes I still support wanted posters and bounties on criminals heads. But I don't think this should affect the bank, no withdrawing money because you killed someone? Put a bounty on my head sure, kick me out of the shop if you want, send the guards after me, but don't mess with a pirates bank account. Thats alittle too far and unjust, its a game, theives and criminals happen, they should, without them there would be less fun in my opinion. If I were to have my account closed I would be so damn enraged, I'd kill anyone and anything I could to get my money back.... *cools down*

One thing still confuses me, how do you murder someone? Winning, killing somebody in a Pvp arena is considered murder? From what I've heard there will be battlefields and arenas, if you go into a battlefield you're only asking for trouble.

Bliss

« Reply #12 on: 22, March 2006, 13:08:06 »
I think a murder charge should only apply to say....A 110 player killing a much lower level. Say if like Igontin were to come and kill me. That would be overkill...just plain wrong.

I think PvP should only be allowed with like level people- say I am level 54 - I can only fight levels 45-65 or something.
Where are we going and what am I doing in this handbasket?

rumbuff

« Reply #13 on: 22, March 2006, 15:08:54 »
@reputation system:

I can't wait to see this realized! bounty hunting on fugitives would be such a nice thing...

@PVP:

IMHO PVP must take place in a special arena. Players would only be able to enter there if they arranged with their opponent before.
This would lead to a procedure similar to a secure tradinging system: Both parties must agree that they want to fight PVP against each other.
When that is done, they could i.e. be zoomed to a PVP arena where they are on their own (maybe with spectators).
So if a lvl 30 players wants to fight PVP against a lvl 50 player, this could could be done, if both agree on that fight.
That's for a duel.

If parties of players want to fight another party, there would be a similar procedure: Participants first need to subscribe for the fight, i.e. 5 players at team one and 7 players at team two. then subscription is closed, neither party could add or remove players from now on from the subscription list. then both parties have to agree on the list and PVP. after that is done, they would be zoomed to the PVP arena and the bashing could start.

What I do not want is a PVP arena, where U step into and then can get attacked by everyone without your permission. Like a hughe field where everyone is hunting everyone.
Before I would engage into PVP I want to know against whom I'll fight!

The zoom into an isolated PVP arena is necessary to garantee no one outside the agreed parties could influence the battle. spectators should be allowed.

dwarrior

« Reply #14 on: 22, March 2006, 19:14:32 »
I wish it were possible to kill NPCs. I know it wouldn't be feasible, but I want to kill the church priest just once.
Dwarrior may have returned while you weren't looking.

Tags: