Language: 
To browser these website, it's necessary to store cookies on your computer.
The cookies contain no personal information, they are required for program control.
  the storage of cookies while browsing this website, on Login and Register.

Author Topic:  Ambient, atmospheric, dramatic music, sounds, seasonal gfx  (Read 3884 times)

smacky

« on: 30, September 2005, 13:56:42 »
These suggestions are not new ideas -- many games have them. And they do wonders for character and immersiveness.

Ambient sound effects

In the wilderness, birds twitter and bees buzz during the day; owls hoot and crickets chirp at night. Near running water you hear the sound of, um, running water. In wooded areas, wind in branches and leaves.

Combat sounds/music

When a mob has locked onto you dramatic fighty music starts up. If you kill him it ends in a happy way; if he kills you it ends very, very unhappily.  :cry:

When you get pummelled enough that the flashing red cross appears above your head, a heartbeat sound starts. As your hp decrease further, the heartbeat becomes more rapid. This really adds atmosfear to combat!

Seasonal greetings

Is the long-term plan to have outside graphics reflect the time of year? Ie, snow in winter, blossoms in spring, the effects of autumn, etc.

Weather effects

ISTR reading somewhere that B4 already has this. Does it? If not, could it?

Edit: Changed subject

Bobthehobo

« Reply #1 on: 30, September 2005, 14:27:53 »
The sound effects in the wilderness are already there if you listen, we don't have combat music atm but I think that would be nice to have, we have trees that make it look like its autumn and barren ones for winter so I'm sure it's possible to have trees change as we go from season to season, and in stoneglow you can sometimes hear rainfall but never hear it and I think that would be nice to add.

Sambeaux

« Reply #2 on: 30, September 2005, 15:33:32 »
Good idea! I like the heartbeat idea the best!!
Wouldn't the seasonal thing have to be generated by the client? The game is international and it's winter in Moscow when it's summer in Sydney. Plus, some players in Fiji may never have seen snow!

Come to think of it, isn't it always winter in Moscow? Y'know, like Scotland.....

Bobthehobo

« Reply #3 on: 30, September 2005, 16:52:47 »
Sam the server has its own time. Type /time in game. It has days weeks months and years all with unique names. I would like to get a list of the months and years because I can never tell what season it is.

smacky

« Reply #4 on: 30, September 2005, 16:53:03 »
@Bob, whoops! Guess I should take the marmots out of my ears.  :oops:

@Sambeaux, try the command "/time". The game has an internal clock.

But I think you're right about Moscow and Scotland. And while Fijian players may have never seen snow, to us Brits sunshine is a novelty. Ah Daimonin, broadens all our horizons.

Elephantey

« Reply #5 on: 30, September 2005, 17:05:47 »
I never, ever bother with the music, cos for my comp, the current music is just real poor, and sounds like a bus passing by. Dunno if this is right, but good music would add a nice touch :)
Captainof 1st class of the 6th regiment of D-unit
Co-leader of Knights Of The Silver Order
Leader of regiment 2 in the Slayers
Looking minor dam armour of any kind (ie helmet or chestplate or boots etc)
http://www.freewebs.com/elephantey/

Cheristheus

« Reply #6 on: 30, September 2005, 21:27:07 »
Thank you very much for your good ideas.

Well, these ideas are obvious, but I'd say we pretty much lack resources :( We need more coders and artists.
Cher :)

smacky

« Reply #7 on: 30, September 2005, 22:29:46 »
Yeah, hm. As I understand it decent musicians are even harder to find than decent graphics artists.

That said, surely the heartbeat thing would be simple enough? There are loads of free heartbeat sfx (I have just Googled and discovered that no software on my machine seems able to cope with a .wav so I haven't been able to check any out) and code to play the sfx more rapidly as hp decrease can't be hard?

Cheristheus

« Reply #8 on: 30, September 2005, 22:57:49 »
@smacky: googling for sound is not a good idea. We have to respect copyright.

Ratix

« Reply #9 on: 30, September 2005, 23:47:07 »
Weather and seasons would be nice, and hard to implement, but very cool. Every few days it rains for an hour or so, every month or so a tornado. :P The grass changing to snow in the winter, small ponds drying up in the summer, flowers blossoming in spring and dying out in fall. Four sets of the same maps to make heh.

smacky

« Reply #10 on: 01, October 2005, 00:36:56 »
@Cher, absolutely, but there are repositories of uncopyrighted sfx on the net aren't there?

Unislash

« Reply #11 on: 01, October 2005, 05:45:29 »
@ Ratix: no, i think that having 4 of each type of outdoor-ish artwork that is swapped out every new season is better than making a whole 3 more maps for each map.

The rain in stoneglow is stoneglow's background. It is only in... well, the church map for sure and then maybe one or two others. I use it in stonehaven in the same way (only a few maps have it in the castle, but you run over enough to have it sorta go on and off--cool effect).

@ Smacky: google winamp. It is an awesome media player and it *does* support .wav (and is free)

Also, weather is not in B4... at least not anything graphical.

@ General Population: We DO need MUSICIANS. Atm, the only musician that i know of who plays daimonin and is interested in contributing is fallon_dark. I hope he starts working on some music (err, sound) for daimonin, it'd be such a beautiful touch.

Cheers,
Unislash
Forum Admin/Mapmaker

Ratix

« Reply #12 on: 01, October 2005, 06:51:04 »
Hmm, well as you probably know I'm a musician Irl, but obviously its different using the computer... If anyone knows of a computer program (free, small download maybe?) I could get, I would be more than happy to mix something up... I have some ideas in mind already, things that I wish we had, maybe nows my chance to get what I need for my maps. Heh wow add a fourth side to Ratix. Player/Mapper/Gfxer/Sfxer...

Cheristheus

« Reply #13 on: 01, October 2005, 12:57:54 »
Quote from: "smacky"
@Cher, absolutely, but there are repositories of uncopyrighted sfx on the net aren't there?

The problem is that much of what is labelled "uncopyrighted" is not really uncopyrighted. Many of the sound resources labelling sounds as "uncopyrighted" are quite suspiciuous to me.

Sambeaux

« Reply #14 on: 01, October 2005, 14:37:49 »
Ratix, here's a freebie music program that might not be what you expect, but you will definitely have fun with it:
 http://poodlesandflan.com/
It literally generates random tunes in midi according to the settings you adjust, wild stuff! I've forgotten how big the file is but I downloaded it with dial-up so....
Since the music it makes is random, it's all original and thus no copyright hassle.

This one can record everything that comes out your speakers, edit it, mess with it, and turn it into loads of formats:
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
It's Open Source software so, Yay, all free. I found these with Google, there's tons more out there....

Warning!! This stuff can get more addictive than Daimonin!!!

Tags: