Language: 
To browser these website, it's necessary to store cookies on your computer.
The cookies contain no personal information, they are required for program control.
  the storage of cookies while browsing this website, on Login and Register.

Author Topic:  New weapon type once one has been mastered  (Read 996 times)

Shroud

« on: 04, October 2005, 16:26:17 »
As in b4 the lvl cap isn't going to be raised and I'm not sure what new skills are going to be added (if any) that can be trained I was thinking it'd be nice that once you get lvl 110 in slash for example you could learn a new weapon type

e.g. if I got lvl 110 slash I'd get the opportunity to either learn impact, pierce or cleave.

If lvl 110's could learn a second skill this would also lead to the possible introduction of hybrid weapons which would be pretty rare but also pretty good

e.g. sword wc5dam5(slash)wc5dam5(pierce) 2.70s

where the damage from both skills would be added up and combined so if you were only slash or pierce it'd be wc5dam5, If lvl 110 slash but lvl 10 pierce then you'd have a lvl 110 wc5dam5 slash hit and a lvl 10 wc5dam5 pierce hit.

I think 1st suggestion is pretty reasonable request unless there is going to be a lot of new skills in b4 and 2nd one may be pushing it but when you compare amount of work needed to get it better than ordinary 2h + 1 of ele (dam9 + 10% ele) and that I'd expect them to be as common as mith coats the chance of getting a +1 of ele would be very slim and if you had two weapon skills at lvl 110 you'd deserve it :P
Doesn't matter, you'd die anyway. ;D Shroud's a hacker. After many hours of deep thought I have came to that conclusion.

longir

« Reply #1 on: 04, October 2005, 19:22:26 »
the second weapon type skill could really make it interesting when combined with my B4 weapons thread.  1h/2h/pole slash to 110, learn cleave then 1h/2h/pole cleave to 110.  that really would be awesome :D
DM
Dev Team Member
Site Admin

Mostly retired from playing

gnub_slayer

« Reply #2 on: 04, October 2005, 20:45:56 »
I'm not trying to be a total Nay-Sayer with this idea but the trouble for this suggestion is obvious...

If you start over from level 1 you are faced with having to kill low-level monsters due to weapon class constraints.  This has two basic affects: 1) you will annoy low level players by killing in their turf and 2) You virtually cannot be hit by low level mobs and where is the challenge in that?  

So my point is... Having another weapon type to weild is all well and good and allows you as a player to be more diverse but it becomes simply a matter of how much playing time you are willing to dedicate to level that skill to the maximum allowed value.

Case in point:  For example Longir (and I'm not picking on you, just using you as an example)  Sometime around the beginning or mid-point of August 2005 Longir really started leveling his Punch skill.  And while I have seen him die a couple of times in this endeavour due to IS blasting high level mobs, he really didnt have a great deal of trouble gaining levels.  The mitigating factor was simply the amount of time it physically took for him to get the experience.

The bottom line: Adding a new weapon type is just another means of giving a high level player some way to go back and kill low level monsters and play in areas otherwise beneath them.  There's no challenge and thus no point in allowing it.

Please let me say that I mean no disrespect to any of my fellow players with these comments.
Gnu - like the open source mascot
B - like the programming language before C

Pronunciation - NU + Bee or Newbie

longir

« Reply #3 on: 05, October 2005, 04:14:13 »
I understand  but since most weaps are based on ph level, not necessarily that type, if I could learn cleave, since I have 2h mastery and polearms mastery and over lvl 11 in Ph, I could use any cleave weapon.  And with the other gear I have, I'd probably start out in OP (most likely getting to rhun's room) so I wouldn't be bothering people that need the ants.  then maybe try to camp ghorl or the drake in UC.  then back to wizzie room
DM
Dev Team Member
Site Admin

Shroud

« Reply #4 on: 05, October 2005, 11:02:33 »
I can see your point gnub_slayer but is it much different to training md's (or any other skill) to lvl 110 and then training your weapon type afterwards (permitted and something i have nothing against). As it is now training my archery, mb, dp etc is little different to what you described anyway

I've trained my punch to lvl 26 and so far haven't had too many times when I saw other people in the same training area as me and when i did i often left them alone and looked elsewhere (or went deeper in dungeon). Many of the areas i did train were near named mobs which often have higher lvl players camping them anyway. Like how many lvl 15's do you see killing fire wyverns or lvl 26's killing rhun on a regular basis?

You also get issue that if virtually all you skills are maxed is there anything left for you to do in the game. After b4 it might well be a year or more till b5 and even then not sure when lvl cap will be raised meaning that several players could find themselves with a character more or less maxed and can either kill for bounties few non-grey mobs (which sort of feels wrong when some people need the XP), use daimonin purely as a chat room, start a new char or simply give up the game until they it's updated.

Also with right gear I can get a wc of 18 at lvl 1 and with mb rods/horns can pretty quickly get to worthier mobs
Doesn't matter, you'd die anyway. ;D Shroud's a hacker. After many hours of deep thought I have came to that conclusion.

Elephantey

« Reply #5 on: 05, October 2005, 22:03:43 »
'You feel yourself splitting in 2'

Could be a message when u get to lvl 80 say.
With the second u, u get to choose which new weapon type to use, u also get to choose which stats to have on him. Everythin goes back to lvl 1 BUT, its still off the same char, so uve now got 2 of u, there should be like a portal in town, go into this to switch to char 2, or somthin like that. That way, u really are a noob, but u have to use the same name. So say, for example Smacky gets to lvl 80 and has a new char on the same account, then his new char will be called Smacky2 or somthin like that.

Could be amusin to see
'Longir killed by ant soldier'

:lol:
Captainof 1st class of the 6th regiment of D-unit
Co-leader of Knights Of The Silver Order
Leader of regiment 2 in the Slayers
Looking minor dam armour of any kind (ie helmet or chestplate or boots etc)
http://www.freewebs.com/elephantey/

longir

« Reply #6 on: 05, October 2005, 23:52:03 »
that goes more along the lines of the one legendary mode possibility that was mentioned....having a whole new world where you start again at lvl 1 but when you return you've got your old levels back.  Would be interesting for that, and with a couple of coding tricks it would allow people to level indefinitely (something MT is against and I can understand.....who would want to challenge someone with lvl 10,000,000 in every skill?  and at that level the mobs would have to be ridiculously powerful or they would be ridiculously weak the only challenge from there is staying dead until someone rescues you or have a death against such mobs = total deletion of the char (then there's a couple years work wasted))
DM
Dev Team Member
Site Admin

Tryagain

« Reply #7 on: 06, October 2005, 08:19:52 »
The points in this discussion would be good material for a new section in Smacky's guide: What to do when you are 110  8)

Tags: